1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key alert while car is in drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by emtownsend, Oct 11, 2007.

1. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK, here is a wierd one... I carpool. When I drop the other person off in front of his workplace, and after they open and close the front passanger door, the yellow key-fob alert comes on. (The one that comes on when the car is running but you take the wireless fob away...)
    It does this every time I drop him off now; and only in front of his work. Is it interference from the place of business? (It is a building downtown that houses 6 floors of differing businesses).
    Is it the keyfob battery?
    Do these keyfobs use a fairly common radio frequency?
    The car never dies, and the alert goes off after I pull away from his workplace...
    Thanks!

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The smartkey fobs have been known to be jammed by other electronic equipment in close proximity. There have been times when I have had to move my cellphone or MP3 player to another pocket before the car sees the fob.

Once the car starts, it won't shut down just because it can't see the fob (that would be a serious safety issue).

I think the smart key receiver is between the seats below the armrest box. Are they putting something on the box when they get ready to leave?

3. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Oct 11 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]524121[/snapback]</div>
    Ah! Could very well be his cell phone. He just activated a new one... and this problem just started a couple weeks ago. He holds it while in the car and moves it to the center when he goes to open the door! Thanks!

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    intreresting.... dont think its his cellphone per se... does he use BT?

5. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 11 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]524138[/snapback]</div>
    Not that I know of, but I will ask.

6. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

Possibly electromagnetic interference from an automatic door-opener? Some use ultrasound as the detector, but many also still use radio frequencies. Does the building have one of these?

Mike

7. terryonmac

terryonmac New Member

My 2008 does the same thing. But it does go away after a minute or so. I have a phone in the console with bluetooth on.

8. personallyuneek

personallyuneek Yankee fan in New England

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maybe if we put our scenarios together, we can find the common denominator.. I don't think a phone that is off would effect the fob or antenna...

My 08 has had 3 different time where it has 'no keyed' me. Goes away after a few seconds

all different locations
    no passengers (no Friends) :lol:
    No bluetooth (too Cheap) B)
    phone in various locations

I do have a Mobil speed pass and thought that might be a factor.