1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Confusion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ecowood, Jun 27, 2007.

1. ecowood

ecowood Engineer looking for problems.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We had a moment with our new Prius today. While showing off the new toy to a friend, I locked the door with the outside button and then she asked me if the Pri knew if the key fob was inside or out. Without thinking too much tossed the fob inside through the open window (just a demo, remember) and then tried to unlock the door. I got a solid beep just like when I leave the key inside, but the doors were locked. Did I manage to confuse her? Am I confused?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Of course your smart car knows if the fob is inside or out, and at which locking door if outside. There are transponders in each locking door and under the center console for SKS. That's why if you have the fob by the driver's door of your locked Prius, the person at the passenger door can't open that door. Only the door nearest to the fob will unlock, then however you have SKS programmed will unlock the other doors.

Similarly, if someone were in the driver's seat and you were standing with your fob outside the passenger door, if they pressed the start button, nothing would happen. If you have the fob in your jacket pocket and unlock the hatch and put your jacket back there, when you get in the driver's seat you may not be able to start the car since the fob isn't near the driver.

Did you fish the fob back out through the open window to open the door, or did you open the inside door handle? I'm not sure if the alarm will go off if the fob is inside the car; I know it will if the fob is outside the car and you use the inner door handle.

This is a very smart car!

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jun 27 2007, 02:05 AM) [snapback]468671[/snapback]</div>
    The fob on the deck is definitely too far away for the car to start.