1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob battery replacement ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Superdrol, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone by chance replaced their battery for the key remote ? My remote was not as responsive so tonight I oped up the remote and bought a replacement for it. There is a plastic bracket with four prongs that hold onto the chip inside. The plastic bracket has three prongs holding the battery in place.

I disconnected the plastic holder for the battery then took the battery out. When I replaced the battery the prongs don't hold the battery secure anymore.

Has anyone came across this yet ? I realize most ppl may not have replaced the remote battery yet.

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have done battery replacement and did not encounter the problem you describe. Not sure how it happened, so I cant really give advice except to take the battery out and try again.

3. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may need to replace the battery holder. One of the prongs seems to have had the very tip of the plastic chipped off. When I initially took out the battery it was very snug and in the process may have chipped the prong.

I'm probably just going to buy a new key on eBay, scrap the circuit board and swap it out.

4. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I'm saying is hard to describe but there are edges on each of the prongs and secure the battery is what I am describing.

Did you just take a small screwdriver and put it into the slot and popped out the battery ?

5. prj

prj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't try that. It'll be very difficult to unsolder and resolder the battery holder from the circuit board. You can't use the whole board and battery holder assembly, since the chips on the replacement board won't work with your car.

The battery makes contact with the circular spring at the bottom, and the double springs at the side. So the battery doesn't need to be "too" snug. If it rattles or seems loose after reassembling the fob, put a tiny piece of foam rubber or something similar between the battery and the back half of the case.

6. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The circuit board is not sodered to the battery holder. The battery holder is held by four plastic prongs that can be uncliped. I have uncliped them so the holder can be separated from the circuit board.

Re: your suggestion, you cannot place something between the battery then mash the case together. You will probably damage the entire unit doing that. What I ended up doing was talking two thick plastic pieces and shoving them between the prong gaps acting as a shim. This compressed the button battery but it is pretty much shot once the battery needs to replaced again.

My old Corolla just has a big metal clip you lifted and slid the battery in. This Prius the button battery is held by (3) plastic prongs.

I cannot imagine having to replacing the button battery more than 2-3 times before a pressure clip gets damaged.

I'm going to try first to swap parts then worst comes to worst buy a new key which is $250 (key) + $50 (programming).

7. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh btw it's the circular spring at the bottom that is pushing out the battery. The side ones are not the issue.