1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Complete replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CWB, Apr 7, 2024.

1. CWB

CWB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have one key fob for my 2008 Prius and it's gone. Won't go into details but I am currently without a working keyfob including physical key to get into my car.

So, not only do I need a new FOB, programmed and usable, but a physical key cut that will fit my car.

Buying a replacement fob and having it programmed is obvious, but my car is in my driveway and can't drive it to a dealer.

Advice is very much needed and welcomed.

Thanks!

2. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    tow it to the dealership, that's the only way. I'm not sure if a mobile locksmith can do it in your driveway but it's best to ask around.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Generally you will need the title the registration if it's registered or the last registration you have on that will be your VIN number maybe bring a picture of the car with you and go to the Toyota dealer and give them all that information and after much hemming and hawing. The Toyota dealer will come up with the numbers and the nonsense you need and be able to order you a fob that went to your car when it was new in production hopefully no one ever had to change the door cylinder or do anything silly in the life of the car because what they're going to order and get to the dealership is what was shipped with the car when it left the factory production line if you will and it will be costly 500 or so dollars. You may be able to get a locksmith to do similar He will be able if he can get in your car I'm imagining it's unlocked in your driveway if he can get in your car he can take the door handle out or you could take the door handle out get the numbers off of the lock cylinder which is attached to the door handle and take that to a locksmith and he'll cut you a key while you stand there dealing with the rest of the fob issue and all that He may be able to work off your VIN number and off of the fob receiver in the car that's got numbers on it If you had a picture of the old sticker under the Toyota logo on your original fob the gray sticker he could work with that but no one ever does that so either way the dealer probably five or $600 the locksmith three to five possibly You need to start calling around and talking to locksmiths I guess to see what they have to say The Toyota dealer you just have to go to the parts department with all that documentation You have to be able to prove the car is yours.

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Call around to several toyota dealerships. Get the best price you can. This will be a $400-$600 lesson.
    FWIW if this happens in a Mercedes it cost $2,210.00. If you proactively buy another key fob, key blank and have it laser cut and programmed. It costs $911.00 Ask me how I know.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In this time when you get your new business slide the back cover off take a picture of the gray label inside of the remote that has all the pertinent information for the transponder and codes and everything It does not have the key code I don't think but it has all the electrical information which is important with that sticker a locksmith can I think clone your transponder and come up with something to open and close and unlock the doors beware of fakes there are a lot of remotes out there that Chinese companies are selling with this piece of crap green board in them that can't do anything You put a battery in some do and some don't have the red light on the remote and they're fakes If you know what the board looks like in your Toyota remote your replacement or new one will look similar the ones I'm talking about that are fakes have the skinny narrow board that looks completely out of place if you know what you're looking at which the Chinese manufacturers are gambling that you don't.