1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Forrest43, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Forrest43

Forrest43 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello, I lost a key to my 08 Prius. I called a locksmith out because I drive anywhere from 30-100 miles a day for work and my truck is a gas hog and gets 8mpg. He ordered a new key and quoted me $320, which I thought was a okay price. He had a computer plugged into the car and attempted to program a new key, he could get the car to turn on, but it had to be inserted and the buttons on the fob did not work and I could not lock or unlock the car with the keyless entry system. He said the programming required two keys to finish it and he was going to order another one and I could buy it or he could just keep it for stock. I found my old key luckily and I can get the car to start with it in the dash, but the car does not respond to anything when I push on the buttons. The locksmith hasn't called me back to finish the job. Is there any tips or tricks I could do to possibly get this old key to work again using the buttons? Or does it need some time of programming done by someone with software?
    Thanks,

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the SKS button under the steering wheel. It says "KEY". You may have accidently deactivated the SKS system.

The button is used to help the 12v battery last longer during extended periods of non-use. Deactivating the SKS makes the car stop looking for a key signal around it's perimeter.

And if you have a working key/fob, you can purchase your own key online for about $140 and program it yourself by doing the chicken dance procedure explained in the forum. It works. I've done it, and many other dozens of members have done it.

How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality | PriusChat

Look at Post #531 in the above thread. It has the part number of the FOB I purchased and the Toyota dealer I purchased it from.

#2 TMR-JWAP, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019