1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob & Locking Doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sgails, Jan 23, 2008.

1. sgails

sgails sgails

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My husband has had his 2007 Prius about 6 mos. We live in NY and the weather now is cold. In the mornings he will start the Prius and let it run for a few minutes before leaving for work. He always keeps the fob in his pocket at all times. He is unable to lock the doors with the car running. So anyone who gets in the car can drive off with it? Is there something he is doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can give.

2. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the Prius is turned on you can't lock it electronically. You have to physically lock it by extracting the small key from the side of the key fob and inserting it in the key-hole in the door (yes, I know, that's *so* last-century, but it works).

George W likes this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is that true with the key fob buttons? I haven't tried it. I know with the SKS it won't lock from the door buttons, but how about pressing the lock button on the fob?

Tell your husband to get warmer clothes. A true Prius fanatic would never waste gas warming the car just for comfort.:)

Tom

4. sgails

sgails sgails

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GBee thanks for giving me a laugh today. It's his first winter with his. I am on my second winter with mine. I will tell him what you said. lol It just seems that it should be easier to lock the doors after you start it if you do want to let it warm up first. Gee surprised no one has stolen it yet.:eek:
    Not too many Prius in my area. Have a good day.

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No one locks car doors where we live, but even so, I've gotten into the habit of locking the Prius doors. I'm not worried about it being stolen, I just want to make sure the interior lights turn off. The 12V battery has about the same capacity as two D cells.

Tom

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, he is wasting gas and money running the engine when he the car is going nowhere. It will warm up much faster if he just gets in and drives. Unlike any other vehicle he has ever owned, the Prius doesn't run poorly when cold. Instead of loading the ICE, it uses the electric motor more until the ICE warms up. It doesn't take long.

7. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I live in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. So it's winter here too (although pretty mild lately). Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised to see how fast warm air starts coming out of the vents when the car is cold in the am. I get warm air within a couple of minutes of heading down the road - long before the ICE is fully warmed up. It must be the electric heater that some people have referenced. So I've concluded that it isn't necessary to warm up the car to get some heat.

8. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With the SKS, will a power-up Prius actually shut itself off when the key fob is not in the proximity of driver seat? (Husband going back into the house with the fob still in his pocket)

Note that the car also won't lock if the hatch is not fully shut as well. Couple of times I think the hatch is shut tight (but it isn't), and I can't lock the car with the fob....until I figure out why.

How often you use the Door/Hatch square button to lock the car instead of lock button on the key fob?

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never. The Prius will continue to run without the SKS fob, until it is shut down. Then, of course, it will not start without the fob. Doing it any other way would be dangerous: Imagine driving down the highway when the battery in your fob dies; you don't want the car to stop just because of a dead battery. It has led to a few embarrassing stories about people dropping off a spouse and driving to another store, only to not be able to go back and pick them up.

I always lock my Prius with the square locking buttons. I never take the fob out of my pocket. There is no real security reason to lock our Prius where we live, but I lock it to make sure all of the doors are shut. The Prius 12V battery is small and will quickly die if you leave lights on.

Tom

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Second that. He should get in and drive.