1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob no long works the same way after oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mbosco, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mbosco

mbosco New Member

I just had an interesting problem. I have a 2005 prius with the keyless entry and smart key. I had an Oil Change done at a local Jiffy lube. After the change I noticed theydid not switch off the the "Mainteneance Required" Light. So I told them and someone came out to do it. I had the smart key in the slot. (I almost always just have it in my pocket - but during service - leave it in the slot for them to move the car).

After a minute, they got the light off and I took off. BUT after I got home, I noticed that in order to start the car, I now need to insert the smart key into the slot. Before, I just needed to have it in my pocket. Also, the little black buttons on the door handles no longer work to lock the car - and I must use the button on the smart key to unlock it as well.

So what did they do and how can I undo it? Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may recall the SMART button located below the steering column. That button turns the system off and on. Try pressing the button to see if that helps.

If not, then I suggest replacing the fob battery - especially if it is original.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What Patrick said...in addition, the Jiffy Lube guy probably didn't know exactly how to turn off the maint. light. I suggest you learn to do that yourself so people aren't poking around irresponsibly in your car turning stuff off and on.

It's quite simple...
    1)Make sure you're on the standard ODO display (ie. NOT Trip A or Trip B).
    2)Start with the car OFF.
    3)Press and hold (and continue holding) the ODO button
    4)With foot off of the brake, push the power button twice (ie. go into Ignition On)-keep holding that ODO button.
    5)Watch the odometer display...it'll show dashes initially, they'll slowly tick off, then it'll show all zeros, then your actual odometer reading. At this point you can release the ODO button.

4500 miles later you'll get the flashing "maint. light" at start up that will then turn off after a few seconds. 5000 miles it will come on and stay on until you reset.

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

As pat has said:
    1) Check to make sure the SKS button is on. (look at the two little black buttons in the area under the steering wheel/driver dash)
    Its a toggle button. Push it once to switch on/off. The other button recalibrates the the TPMS (doesn't hurt to push it on/off when the car is off).

2) the fob battery is dead. Try using your other fob to confirm.

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm 99% sure the Iffy Lube guy was looking for the reset button for the oil light and hit the SKS button instead. Just toggle it back on and you should be fine.

6. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MBOSCO - so, what was the solution???????