1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob nonfunctional

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Norryboy1a, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Recently purchased a 2008 Prius . The key fob will not operate the locks and the car does not recognize the fob. Fob battery was replaced and believe the 12 volt is good. Contact old dealer who checked vehicle service history and they said that a cpu (?) or a processor did show up as being defective . Which I think could have been the reason why they sold the car. It runs very well otherwise. Haven’t checked the battery diagnostic yet. Any ideas on how to get the blinking key light to go away?

2. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In your case it appears that the computer module in your car is defective as the dealer said. Probably, the repair was expensive and the previous owner declined it. Read if there are any codes and research if you can buy used parts to install them yourself.

I have one defective keyfob because I left it in my pocket and put it in the washer and then on the dryer. It never worked again. I am sure it has happened to others. On my Lexus 300h I did the same thing. I guess I do not learn. However, the Lexus keyfob works fine after being in the washer and dryer because Toyota changed the design and added a rubber part protecting the electronics. I do not know if it is officially waterproof but it is definitely more than water resistant and survived the 45 minute washer cycle.

3. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. I think you are right. The ecu is probably bad. If I replace the immobilized ecu (which I guess is the transponder) if I should have to get another one and replace it, what then? I guess it should be reprogrammed ( or registered) and then would the old non working key fob have to replaced or reregistrred (programmed) as well?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea, but get tech stream set up, then read through the fob programming threads