1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob not starting car.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JeffAnd, Jul 19, 2021.

1. JeffAnd

JeffAnd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Drove my 2004 Prius to get emissions tested. Afterwards the start button would not start the vehicle. But the key fob could still control the door locks. Then I notice the dash was not showing the key was present. I tried placing the key in the slot in the dash. This still did not work. I tried key button under the dash this still did not work. The I went under the hood to check the fuses. I was pulling one fuse at a time and checking it visually. While doing this I noticed that the fuses didn't seem to be fully seated. At this point I tried pushing the fuses down until they were fully seated. It is at this point the car came back to life.

2. JeffAnd

JeffAnd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What caused it? Most likely after 17 years of salt, moisture, thermal temperature changes caused the electrical connection to be broken. Could be the fuse over time had backed out of it's socket, from temperature changes.