1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob not working outside but works inside

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by FLP, Feb 20, 2010.

1. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I apologize if this has been asked already. It is a cool 60 degrees outside and my car did not recognize the key fob. It wouldn't let me lock my car doors or open them, either. However, when I got home and was standing in my kitchen I could lock and unlock the doors of my car in my garage as I stood in my kitchen. I bought the car in late August, do I need to replace the key fob battery, already?

2. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I went to the dealer today and asked if it could be the key fob battery and he told me it is most likely the receiver and the car would need to stay the day. I'd need an appointment during the week, now a days because they are so slammed by recall work. It only seems to do this when it is cool outside so I don't know if it would even happen when it was present at the dealership. Does anyone else have this problem on a 2010?

3. glennc

glennc New Member

Model:
    III
    There is an area about four parking spaces wide in front of the building I work in where the fob has a hard time working. Very strange but that's been true for the last three or four cars I've had - two Camrys, two Solari, and a 2007 Prius. I took delivery on a 2010 Prius this morning. It'll be interesting to see what happens next week.

Glenn

4. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Any chance there was electromagnetic interference? there are places in San Diego where the key fob will not work. The Navy sends out death rays it appears.