1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob pocket start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RedskinPrius, Jan 31, 2013.

1. RedskinPrius

RedskinPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2007 base Prius with the square key fob that fits in the (purchased used from dealer).

I have always placed the key in the ignition to start the vehicle. I had some warranty work done and at check in the tech advised that all prius models with this fob should be able to start with key in the vehicle. Not in the ignition needed.

Any thoughts on that? It has never worked like that and the tech said all it needs is a battery.

SCH-I605 ? 2

2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You have to have the SKS option. Does your door handle have a little button on it? If yes, you have the SKS option. Does your fob have a silver logo (as opposed to a black one)? The SKS-enabled fobs have a silver logo.

RedskinPrius likes this.
  3. RedskinPrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No on both counts.I figured the tech was just an idiot and proved correct.

Thanks!

SCH-I605 ? 2

4. RedskinPrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume this is also why when locking the car, no horn beep just a light flash.

SCH-I605 ? 2

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you purchase another Prius, try to get one with the SKS (Smart Key System). With it, all you have to do is walk up to the car, touch the inside of the handle, the door will unlock, enter the car, foot on brake, push power and drive away. All of the time your keyfob stays in your pocket or purse. When leaving the car, push power to power down, exit the car and close the door, push the black button (1 of 3 of them) and walk away.

A typical Gen II Prius with SKS will have a keyfob with a silver logo.

keyfob.jpg

And a typical Gen II Prius with SKS will have the little black buttons that look like this.

SKS Button.jpg

Nevertheless enjoy the Prius you have and the great gas mileage that comes along with it.

Ron

RedskinPrius likes this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yep, no black buttons a Gen 2 Prius == no SKS. Key must be in the slot to start when there's no SKS.