1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. unheardthreat

unheardthreat New Member

hello, i have a 2 month old 06 prius package 1 and one day my key fob wont let me lock/unlock the door, or even make the alarm go off. i know that i can still get into the car using the key, and the car works with the fob still, but i want to know whats going wrong. when i push buttons, the little light still flashes, but other than that, i have no clue. does anyone have any tips or troubleshooting ideas? i would like my alarm to work. THANKS :D

2. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unheardthreat @ Jun 22 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]275562[/snapback]</div>
    Check the battery in the key fob.

3. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    B) There is a little black button under your steering wheel. You may have pushed it and turned off your smart key.

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the button does not work think about what else you carry near your fob, cell phones and physical barriers can have transient effects.

5. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(removeum @ Jun 22 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]275603[/snapback]</div>
    That would have nothing to do with pushing the buttons on the fob... that only disables the hands-free "smart" functions.

6. unheardthreat

unheardthreat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex @ Jun 22 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]275578[/snapback]</div>
    The battery should still be good because the car isonlya couple months old, and when i push the buttons on the fob, the light on the top right of the fob blinks still

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(removeum @ Jun 22 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]275603[/snapback]</div>
    the problem with that is that i have a package one prius, so there are no 'smart key' functions. just remote lock and unlock.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think it's time for a trip to the dealer.

8. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why don't you try your other key fob and see if the same thing happens. This way, at least you can isolate the problem. If both are malfunctioning, take it in to the dealer and see what is the problem.

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jun 22 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]275615[/snapback]</div>
    I was cautioned by my dealer to keep my cell phone away from the fob--the emf or whatever can scramble the SK's brains. This has been a VERY difficult training curve for me. We have a counter near to the garage door, and this counter is where we put our cell phones for charging and drop car keys...Having to find somewhere else for the SmartKey and still be able to find it is definitely a challenge! :eek:
    (And cellphones can deprogram hotel cardkeys too!)

10. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the second key works OK, then the obvious thing is to replace the first one....in any case, I agree that this is time for a trip to the dealer. Our Pkg 1 '06 has had no key issues...no symptoms resembling the problem described.

If I had to guess, my instinct tells me that notwithstanding the little red light coming on, it is not transmitting the right code. Could have been compromised by exposure to electronic noise, as suggested by the previous poster [above].

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 23 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]275741[/snapback]</div>
    I have routinely carried my BT Cell phone and my BT PDA in the same or very close to my Smart key for over 2 1/2 years now with no untoward effects other than occasional temporary interference of the SKS signal until something is moved...but that, even, is rare.

12. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 23 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]275755[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. There is a chance of interference, however the chances of causing electronic damage are pretty much nil.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 23 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]275741[/snapback]</div>
    While the chances of electronically damaging the key fob are extremely small in most circumstances, hotel cardkeys are a totally different story! as it is, those keys are generally reused dozens of times or more. they code to give you access to your room is stored in a _very_ weak magnetic medium, which can easily be erased, especially after plenty of repeated programing/deprograming cycles

13. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unheardthreat @ Jun 22 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]275676[/snapback]</div>
    Whether or not the LED still flashes has no bearing on the battery strength in the FOB. It takes a lot less energy to power that LED then it does to send the signal to your vehicle. I agree, changing your battery and/or trying your second remote is the first step. The second step would be to either try reprogramming your FOB or disconnecting your vehicle battery and trying to reset the entire system.

14. unheardthreat

unheardthreat New Member

alright, i need to go to the dealer i guess. one more thing with that. im 19 and this is my first car, so i have no experience with this. i have the warrenty, so that resolves the money thing, but do i need to make an appointment with the dealer to get it checked out?

15. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unheardthreat @ Jun 24 2006, 03:46 AM) [snapback]276240[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you should make an appointment.

But have you TRIED your second fob? If that works, most likely you just need a new battery for the first fob. Your owners manual tells you which battery to buy, and how to change it.

16. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

I don't have the manual in front of me but I'm certain that you can find the type of batter you need at a drugstore or grocery store. Don't go to the dealer for it as the dealer will likely charge you a much higher price for the battery.

17. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgreys @ Jun 24 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]276256[/snapback]</div>
    The manual doesn't state what battery - it says replace with any recommended by the Toyota dealer. Replacement istructions on page 38. From the picture, it LOOKS like a readily-available clock-type battery similar to the ones I used to use in a blood-glucose testing meter for diabetics. Follow the instructions on page 38 to disassemble the fob (you only need one of those small screwdrivers like the kind that are used to replace screws in eyeglasses), take out the flat circular battery, and see the markings on it. Then find one with those same designations in a local store. My local drugstore and supermarkets didn't carry them, but the Lowes home center did. It was less than $5.

Since my blood-glucose meter batteries would run out about once a year and I needed 2 of them, I found I could buy severall of them in a 'strip' for under $10 including shipping from an on-line battery supplier. I bought half a dozen that way and used 'em up before I switched to a different blood glucose meter.

So DO try that other fob before yoiu try the dealer.

Also, you could call the dealer and ask what kind of battery is needed for the key fob - they might tell you without you having to purchase it - and ask their price for buying it without having them install it and their price if they install it.

I found a link with instructions! You want the CR2032 battery (which is the one I remembered)

Key Fob Battery Replacement

And a link for some online suppliers:
    CR2032
    It appears that this is a common battery for non-digital cameras and hand-held pc/organizers, do you should be able to find them locally.

18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 24 2006, 09:19 AM) [snapback]276272[/snapback]</div>

Do you have a Batteries Plus store in your area? Take your key fob there and they will check the battery for you. They will let you know whether the battery is run down and what type of battery it is. They will install a new one for you if you need it at an excellent price.

19. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Quote: "The manual doesn't state what battery"

MY MANUAL (2004: Page 36: REPLACING THE BATTERY For replacement, use a CR2032 lithium battery or equivalent and a special screwdriver.)

You will also find the designation "CR2032" on the battery cover (held in place by four tiny Phillips screws). You can see the battery cover after removing the back cover of the fob - instructions for that procedure is ALSO found in the Manual pp 36-37) So... there's no mystery about which battery to use. I find CR2032 batteries in chain drugstores and Radio Shack.

There's a wealth of helpful information in your Owner's Manual.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Jun 24 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]276323[/snapback]</div>
    Did it ever occur to you that Toyota may have revised the contents of the Prius owner's manual between the 2004 and the 2006 model years?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: