1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key fob question please...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Julia2001, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    friends.

Can someone please tell me what it means when you press one of the buttons on your key fob and the little red light goes on?

I ask because I only had one key fob. I bought a new one which arrived yesterday. I am currently trying to "chicken dance" my way to programming the SKS feature. I follow every step laid out in this forum to a T, and it doesn't work....YET!

I opened the new fob to make sure it has a battery in it. It does.

However, I notice that when I press the lock or unlock button on my OLD fob, it works, but I do not see a little red light in the corner of the fob.

When I press either button on the BRAND NEW fob, the little red light does light up.

I am wondering if this indicates something I need to know with regard to the battery or the performance of the fob?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Julia

2. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh gosh....I forgot to mention that pressing the buttons on the new fob does NOT lock or unlock the door. So....the little red light does light up when i press either button, but does not lock or unlock the door successfully.

Thank you again!

Julia

3. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I CAN drive the car with the new key in the slot, but nothing else works. I believe the battery inside the fob is not necessary for that, and so I'm wondering IVF the little red light indicates that the brand new battery is no good?

Thanks again.....again!

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks like you've posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Probably get better responses in the Gen II section.

5. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh my gosh I am so sorry! I thought I WAS posting in Gen II.

my apologies to all of the Gen III'ers!

Thank you very much for pointing out the error.

6. JBoat

JBoat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From what I've heard, yes - the red light when pressing a FOB button usually means the FOB's battery is near dead.

7. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    JBoat,

I believe you have somehow misunderstood the the info about the little red light. For the last 7 years (5 years on the original fob battery & 2 on the replacement one) my little light has flashed whenever I do push one of the buttons (don't usually push the buttons though because I have SKS). It's when you don't see the red light when pushing the buttons that the fob battery is almost dead & you may need to use the hidden metal key to get into your Prius. And if you have SKS, you may need to start placing the fob into the docking slot on the dash to turn the car on.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

8. JBoat

JBoat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like you may be , right Ken. I did some more reading on the Gen II FOBs and the most likely culprit in this case is that the key is mis-programmed, especially considering it is "new".

Hope some of this chatter helps you Julia!

9. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi friends. Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate your time very much.

It was actually the OLD fob that had the little red light that never illuminates. I'm hoping a new battery takes care of that today, and I sure am happy to have a brand new fully functioning SKS key fob....apparently just in time, because I've been driving around with ONLY the old one for weeks now!

Thanks again, gentlemen!

Have a great week.

Julia