1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob runs car but no remote features

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eelfner, Feb 1, 2010.

1. eelfner

eelfner Curious Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did I buy the wrong car?

I just recently purchased a 2007 Prius from a used car dealer. The car had previous damage in the right rear. Everything seems fine on the car with the exception of the Key Fob remotes. I have 2 (silver sks) which both run the car, but do not work for remote lock/unlock or sks. I have put fresh batteries in each.

I have searched the helpful data in this forum and found out about programming the key fob's. Using the door flapping sequence, the car has reported that 2 key fobs are registered.

My question is, does this mean the 2 key fobs I have are the 2 registered because they run the car? Or can a key fob run the car without being registered. Also, does it make sense to assume that there is something wrong with the car as opposed to the key fobs that is preventing the remotes from working?

Thanks for any information to links to existing content that I missed!!

2. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A previously programed silver key fob can be programed to start the car when inserted into the key slot, but all other fob functions will not work. These previously programed fobs are cheap for this reason. You probably have two previously programed fobs.

If you want all functions, buy a new fob and have it programed. Shop around because the fob can be from $170 - $200 and programing can be from $40 - $200.

I see you are in Cincinnati. I got my fob from Kings for 10% off - $176 and they programed it for $40. At I275/I71.

1 person likes this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When you say the fobs can be used to start the car, do you mean that the fob must be inserted into the slot? If so, that is not the "smart" part of the SKS.

The fobs are really two fobs in one: a normal dumb fob that must be inserted and can only start the car, and a smart transponder fob that runs the SKS. A used smart fob can be registered to work as a dumb fob, but a used smart fob cannot be registered to work as a smart fob. I mention this since you bought your Prius used. It is possible that the previous owner lost the fobs and replaced them with EBay units.

There are four reasons that a smart key might not work:

1) Dead fob battery.

2) SKS button off under the steering wheel.

3) Broken SKS system in the car.

4) Fob not registered with the car.

With the Gen II Prius, the most common problem is accidentally turning off the SKS by pressing the button under the steering wheel. Check this first.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. eelfner

eelfner Curious Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick replies. This place rocks!

The key fobs only work when inserted in the key slot. And, neither the SKS _nor_ remote lock/unlock work on either remote.

I have ruled out:

1) Dead Fob battery, because led's previous lit had this issue, replace batteries in both and still have issue.

2) SKS button. Has no effect have tried both positions multiple times (and I don't think it effects remote lock/unlock anyway).

Trying to decide if my condition points towards 3) Broken SKS/remote reception interpretation system in car or 4) Fob or Fob registration issue and if there is anything I can do about it.

Evidence seems to point to broken SKS/remote reception interpretation system to me. I assume that any Fob registered to start the car (from in the slot) would be reported as a registered Fob when querying the Fob registration. Since only 2 Fobs are currently registered, I assume that those are the 2 I have. Is this correct thinking? I see that it is possible that the previous owner lost fobs and had them replaced, but since this was a person who took the car back to the dealer for all service appointments it seems that if they lost them they would have gotten full featured fobs as a replacement.

I don't think the used car dealer I bought the car from has enough knowledge to replace the key fobs if they were missing. And, I see no reason the insurance company would have messed with them.

The car was damaged in the right rear, but was not that extensive. Since I see the 12V battery back there, I thinking more like, the SKS system was not properly wired back up or a sensor is malfunctioning and preventing the whole system from working.

I am dealing with Kings Toyota and will be taking the car back up there tomorrow. Being a large dealership, I am hoping they are my best chance to get this resolved although they have not inspired me with confidence at this point. Reading this forum, it seems that I should not expect them to be "all knowing" even though they have the tools. With so much good information here, I am actually hoping to help them solve this problem. It may be that they are neck deep in accelerator pedals and haven't spent quality time on my car yet.

Thanks for the comments!

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that 4) is your problem: the vehicle has not correctly registered the fobs. The immobilizer ECU function (which controls when the car can be started) is different from the smart ECU function (which controls the smart features.)

When you visit your Toyota dealer, they should be able to sort this out for you. It may be necessary for you to purchase new fobs and have them registered by the Prius, in order to activate the smart functionality. Don't be surprised if the bill is $600.

1 person likes this.