1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob SKS still way more headache than help.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by toyoyo, Dec 15, 2009.

1. toyoyo

toyoyo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I am a huge fan of the car I am not at all happy about the Prius SKS key fob for many reasons including the inability to hide a key on the vehicle for emergencies, the outrageous replacement cost and the latest annoyance, erratic locking behavior when it's been raining.

During a normal rain event yesterday, I parked my Gen3 Prius, locked the doors using the lock button on the drivers side door, got out of the car and walked away with the key fob in my pocket. As soon as I closed the door an alarm sounded and refused to stop. I opened the door re-pushed the lock button on the door but still got the alarm. It was not until I finally fished out the key fob from my pocket and locked the car with that would the alarm stop.

I'm wondering if the vehicle still thought the key fob was in the car? Anyone else had this happen?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually you can hide a key. Remove the mechanical key from your extra fob and hide it. Then take the fob and either remove its battery or wrap it in foil and place it in a metal container, put it inside the car somewhere. Of course if you have two drivers and both need a fob you would have to have and extra one made. I agree with you about the price, it's a real rip off.

We don't get much rain where I live and I haven't seen the other problem you described.

2 people like this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love the SKS. It's my favorite feature.

Tom

4. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I second QBee42's comment!

Today I laid the key fob in the cup holder, as I typically do some of the time, and stopped the car to run into a Bakery for fresh rolls.

When trying to lock the car from outside on the handle, I rec'd a long beep...Thinking now what the heck is that.....

The Car was SMART enough to know the FOB was inside and would not allow me to lock it...thus saving me a call to AAA or other...

That's pretty darn sweet if you ask me! I am all for the fob!;)

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The long beep either means the key is in the car or another door is open. It might be a bad door sensor somewhere...

I too don't see how anyone could not love the SKS. What is better than not having to fish in your pockets for keys, especially when its raining or you're carrying things. The only thing I like driving about our Prius is the SKS...and the gas mileage. I really miss it when I get back in the Lexus.

In terms of replacement cost its no more than other key/fob combination keys. The key for my Lexus for instance is a normal key with the fob buttons built into it...cost to replace it is about the same as the Prius' SKS fob.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It has been raining much more than normal where I live and I have not had such a problem with my SKS or the door sensor.

I went to lock mine the other day and got the warning beep but found out that my wife had left her pocketbook in the car with the other fob !!

I agree with Tom, I think the SKS is one of the nicest features about the car.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your right about that, the ones for my BMW were about $250 as I recall. I still think it's rip off. Fortunately I don't lose car keys, at least not very often. :)

8. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I love the SKS, but agree with the comments here on the price of the fobs. While it may well be industry practice to sell them for such a high markup, it's too bad that Toyota cannot take the lead here, and price them closer to their costs, instead of making it a huge source of profit for them. I cannot see it costing them more than a few dollars each to make them, given the costs to manufacture electronics today. At $25, I think that this would still allow for a 400% profit (assuming a manufacturing costs are under $5.00).

This would go a long way towards goodwill, and would likely start a trend in the automotive industry...

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hard to lose the fob when you never take it out of your pocket... that's my favorite way to use it, and one of my (many) favorite features about the car.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    More that once I have muttered "Now what?!?" at my Prius when it emits yet another beep. After each muttered complaint I discover I've done something stupid. A partial list:

1) Open door.

2) Open hatch.

3) Car not in Park.

4) Fob still in car.

The Prius is smarter than I am. I just wish it could talk better: "Hey Nimrod! I'm still in Drive and you are opening the door - Wth?"

Tom

6 people like this.
  11. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Love my sks. It's the biggest thing I found lacking in my bmw between prii.

12. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I must agree with everyone else here. I love the SKS system in this Gen3 Prius. It has been raining heavily here almost a month now and I've never encountered the same problem as yours.

Infact all the time it would make a sound or alarm is because I've done something stuipd like leaving the fob in the car (I like things out of my pocket) or there is a door not shut properly. SKS has been great and love it. It is really a Smart keyless system.

13. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only beep I get when I lock the car is due to my habit of leaving the moonroof slightly open to assist the solar roof keep the car a bit cooler.

At least it has the smarts to give a beep but not prevent locking.

Only complaint is that I still have to get my key out to unlock the house. Damn Toyota, why could they not offer SKS that include locks for my house.

David

1 person likes this.
  14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Never had an issue such as that in rain or otherwise.
    I also must add my voice to the choir, I LOVE the sks system.
    Other than taking my car in for normal service, I have never had to pull the fob out to open or lock the door.
    When I bought the Prius I thought: 'oh, what a neat gizmo'. Now, I wouldn't buy a car without it (unless it was all electric, then I would sacrifice:)).

15. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a full SKS system and I love it. The only manipulation wirh the FOB was its movement from an autumn jacket pocket to winter anorak. As somebody wrote earllier - a pleasant voice replacing "beep, beep, beep" Prius warnings woukd be nice.

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you say SmartKey for the doors?
    Non-vihicle Field/TOKAI RIKA CO., LTD.
    Tokai-Rika made the SKS for Toyota.

17. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought that somebody found a source for replacement fobs that was much less than the $700 or so that the Toyota dealer apparently wants.

What is the best dealer price, and which dealer?

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like it so much that I want to retrofit my 95 4Runner. I am really getting tired of grabbing the 4Runner door handle with a strong pull,only to rip my fingers off because the door does not automatically unlock like the Prius does..Damn that hurts.....

I do not drive it that much, so the other thing I forgot about was "Clutch" at stopsigns....

Those of you who have driven "Stick" will understand.....

19. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    SKS rocks! I miss my hatch sensor (IV w/SR) but have adjusted and set the controls for what works best for me. I love that the SKS is smarter than I am so that I never lock my keys in the car, I never lock the car while it is still running. I almost wish it would also beep when I have accidentally left the back windows open as it does for the SR.
    I also wish I could do SKS on my front door (house) and do agree that it is a bit expensive for these fobs!

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most owners seem to love the SKS system.

Maybe I will as well.

But I have to admit, as someone who does not have a dog in this hunt, a lot of times I find myself wondering about the whole SKS system. Seems like a "neat" thing for a salesman showing the car but given the replacement costs and the occasional problems that do arise dealing with a car that is opened and started almost entirely through the use of electronics, I find myself oddly confident in my simple key and remote door unlock. Replacement cost of key? $2.50 at local hardware shop. Worst case scenario, replacement of entire alarm and remote power door lock and unlock, about $200 installed...that's what I paid 5 years ago.

I'm sure owners like the FOB convience BUT how hard is it really to push a button to unlock a door, whether that button is in your pocket or on the handle? What's the difference in daily "fatigue" between getting in and pushing a button to start the car and/or placing a key in the ignition and turning? I've never NOT driven because I felt I was too tired to use the key.

I'll admit, I don't own a Prius and my car has a standard 1993 turn key ignition coupled with an aftermarket installed alarm with remote door unlock, but I do sometimes wonder about the real tangible advantage to the SKS system.

Alright defenders of SKS flame me...