1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob Stopped Working. Alarm!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by picassopigeon, Nov 4, 2013.

1. picassopigeon

picassopigeon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 UK Prius. My key fob won't open the car. I can open using the key in the side of the fob but then I can't stop the alarm? Any ideas?

GT-N7100 ?

2. picassopigeon

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the wife to taxi in with her fob. That worked and now mine is working again. Not the battery as the little red light was still flashing as button was pressed. I'll replace the battery anyhow.

GT-N7100 ?

3. cthorsman

cthorsman Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try a search of the Pri II forums "fob alarm" and see if one of the threads shows a similar situation.

I had an sks fob with a short in it and had to remove the battery. Used the mechanical key for the door and inserted the fob in the slot to run the car. I probably should not have run it through the wash. Did yours get wet?

4. picassopigeon

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Used and worked fine first thing this morning. I'd come out from work and used the key to pop something in the rear, then 5 minutes later couldn't open the door. Keep the keys in my pocket so no way to come into contact with water. After my wife had unlock the car with her key fob I tried mine again and it worked as normal.

GT-N7100 ?

5. cthorsman

cthorsman Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Electrical problems, if that is what it is, are like teasing little gremlins. Explicatives deleted.

I am far from expert on anything electrical. I do have some small amount knowledge about surfboards and duck hunting, so that is no help.

My thought is if the problem reoccurs pull the battery from the fob and see if the problem disappears. If so, try a new battery in the fob.

And the only advice I am sure will help is spend some time reading in Priuschat about others who have had problems with their fobs. Priuschat is excellent.

6. picassopigeon

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've gone for a battery change as a matter if course, hope that is the problem but for some time I shall be carrying the wife's fob with me as well.thanks for your suggestions

GT-N7100 ?

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The other common problem with the fobs is stuck buttons. Those little caps end up pressing one of the buttons even if you aren't. They might require some fiddling with lubrication to remedy.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really there is only about three things that can cause this problem.

1. Weak key fob battery.
    2. Stuck buttons on the key fob.
    3. Weak 12 volt auxiliary battery.

1 and 2 can be fixed by changing the CR 2032 battery and working with key fob to ensure no buttons are stuck. 3 can be solved by run the test in my signature file. If the voltage is anywhere close to 12.0 volts or below in accessory mode or ignition on mode, you should consider replacing the 12 volt battery.

Best of luck to you.