1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob stopped working.....can I program a used one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffrimerman, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if I can buy a used Prius or really similar toyota keyfob and program it? If not then I can buy a new one I suppose. Mine stopped working and I tried different batteries. Has anyone had a key fob die and been able to fix? Orange light does not come on.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Key fobs are not programmed. Instead, the car is programmed to accept the fob, a process generally called "pairing". How easily you can add a new fob depends on whether you have a working master and whether you have the Smart Key System (SKS). Assuming you have a working master, you can pair a dumb fob yourself by following the instructions found on this site.

For SKS you need the dealer or someone with the proper tools. In addition, if you don't have a working master or you purchase a used fob, the dealer will have to do a seed reset, which puts the ECU back into a blank state, and then pair all of the fobs. Some dealers don't know how to do this.

A larger number of threads cover this exact topic, so you might want to do a little reading.

Tom

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can program a used one yourself for about $1000, after you buy the software and hardware.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Jeff,
    You cannot program a used one without spending a lot of money (as Seilerts points out) but, you can program a new one. See post #16 and beyond on this thread (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-experience-key-fob-programming-issues-2.html).

1 person likes this.
  5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks usnavystgc:rockon:
    I have bookmarked the "Chicken Dance" thread, I think the search feature here isn't that good, I've done all manner of searches and never found a write up that good & in depth.

1 person likes this.