1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key FOB: Unlocking but not Starting Car Without Inserting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by outsidedogs, May 20, 2012.

1. outsidedogs

outsidedogs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok - so here goes with another question everyone. When I first purchased my used Prius a month ago I was able to start the car with only the FOB on my person or somewhere in the car, but now I need to insert the FOB for the car to start.

However, the car recognizes when I want to unlock the car and I have the FOB on my person and I simply place my hand on the doors or trunk?

Additionally - I have 4 different FOBs: one that has a fair amount of use to it and three that look brand new. All four now do the same thing: doors, but no starting without inserting.

Please help.

Cheers

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Check the battery in the FOB. It should measure 3V. If it's even a little low replace it.
    Remove the key from the FOB.
    Fully depress the key release and then the FOB will slide apart.
    Using a very small Phillips screwdriver, remove the four screws you see.
    The battery should now be visible. Plus side up when you put one back in there.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Find the button switch to the left of the steering column which probably has a KEY label. Press the switch, and see if the Smart functions resume working.