1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fobs...SKS car and non SKS fob

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rmwjr, Jul 14, 2009.

1. rmwjr

rmwjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have searched and found conflicting information on this topic...Can I program a non-SKS fob from ebay (is a used fob used ok? should I buy from Totota?) to my 2008 SKS Prius. My goal is to hide a key inside the car for emergencies (hiding the blade portion somewhere outside the car).
    I have seen the non-SKS programing steps and am not worried about the remote opening the door, just starting the engine using the key slot.
    The guys at the local dealership say that I can't but I know that they want me to purchase a new SKS from them and have it programmed.

Thanks!

2. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm betting you can't. Why would you think a non-SKS fob could be programmed to work with an SKS car? I doubt it has the 'innards' to be programmed at all for that!

Sure, your dealership wants you to buy it from them, but that doesn't mean they are lying....

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any Prius keyfob (black/silver/2004-2009) can be paired with any Gen2 Prius (SKS/non-SKS) for use in the keyslot. Just get the cheapest one you can find, since the remote/proximity functions aren't going to work anyway with a used unit. Then follow the first set of instructions in http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

The proximity/remote functions require a new keyfob, but the dash function works with all of them.

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    the non sks fob, you can program. the sks fob the dealer must program for you. i just went through that for about the third time. be sure you have the correct fob. the one with the silver toyota emblem on the back is the sks fob.

program instructions can be found here on PC.. sorry, I see the above poster included a link to the directions.

purchasing from a dealer is expensive. the fob (at least the sks model) is about $190. Having them program it is extra and varies from dealer to dealer. usually about $45 or $50, give or take.

good luck!! if you have any doubts, just let the dealer do it. If you are a bit adventureous and are good at directions, go for it!! It will give you a sense of accomplishment when you're done!

5. rmwjr

rmwjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will give it a try...not much on ebay right now but I will keep an eye on it. THANKS ALL!

6. ChrisViking

ChrisViking New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 SKS Prius, and have successfully programmed two silver-logo used fobs (from eBay) to let me start the car (when they're plugged in to the dash).

I haven't been able to get the used fobs to remote lock/unlock the doors, but I can use them as spares if my Very Expensive SKS fobs get lost.

I got one new SKS fob from a dealer. The closest dealer wanted more than $400 for a new SKS fob programmed and with metal key cut. 40 miles away a dealer did it for $280.

regards,
    Chris

7. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I was able to a used keyfob to work but with the door locks as well as start my Prius. And I helped a friend to do the same with another keyfob and her Prius. I do think I was lucky in that both keys were more or less unused. If a keyfob has been used more than 128 times, the Prius can no longer read the info related to the key and hence, can only start the car and not unlock a door.

Steve

8. redcoral

redcoral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of used keyfobs were they? Did you use the non-SKS (black logo) or SKS (silver logo) fob? I am assuming the two Prii mentioned in your post are both SKS-equipped. Did you get only the remote lock/unlock working (using the buttons on the keyfob) or did the SKS proximity unlock (i.e. full Smart Key function with silver logo keys) work on both cars?

If you got either of these working on an SKS-equipped car, please let us know how you did it!

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Either kind will work, using the chicken dance to program the immobilizer ECU, with the proviso that no more than five keys have ever been programmed. But this will only allow for the key to be placed in the keyslot to start the car. If you review http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html, you'll see that getting the remote buttons to work is hit or miss.

It is the smart key ECU that cannot be programmed by any means without a scan tool, and requires a seed reset if programming a used key. A seed reset means erasing all smart keys and starting over, so it has a high labor cost, as well as the cost for a automotive locksmith or a Toyota Dealer to call Toyota Corporate and get a new seed, $40 or so. Given the cost of a seed reset, it is usually cheaper to buy a new key and have it programmed. Anybody with a working copy of Techstream Lite can do it.

Much has been the criticism of the key cost and programming cost, but, the only way that someone can steal your car is if you give them a key, or they drag it off on a flat bed.