1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

key gouging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by san mateo, Jul 10, 2006.

1. san mateo

san mateo New Member

i just bought a slightly crashed 2005 package 6, which has no keys. dealer says these will cost me $590 for two!!!!! they say the costs are $230 per key, plus a $130 programming fee. also, supposedly, they fail to be able to reprogram the computer 1/5 of the time, requiring the purchase of an additional $500 computer module. ouch, ouch, ouch.

any assistance greatly appreciated!

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(san mateo @ Jul 10 2006, 04:37 PM) [snapback]284128[/snapback]</div>
    Question - if there are no keys, then how did you test the vehicle to make sure it worked?

I would shop around. You can try emailing Metro Toyota, who a lot of us have used for parts...

Metro

I'm not sure if the FOBs are user programmable, but if so, someone here should be able to help...and save you the $130 fee. As far as the purchasing of a new computer, that sounds like a scare tactic from a dealer who does not know what they are doing. 99% of the time when faced with this issue, you can disconnect the battery, resetting the computer module...and then try programming again.

3. san mateo

san mateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 10 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]284137[/snapback]</div>
    thanks; i'll check w/ metro.

i didn't check to make sure it worked. i bought it online based on photos, and crossed my fingers. it's still en route, so my fingers are still crossed.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(san mateo @ Jul 10 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]284128[/snapback]</div>
    you can definitely pick up the keys for cheaper elsewhere.

so you've got smartkey, which does require the scantool to program keys into the computer. and fortunately, you really shouldn't have to replace the computer, you can access it directly to reprogram the keys.

5. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But, with *no* keys the ECU must be replaced. The keys are not programmed to the car, but the car (ECU) is programmed to accept keys. And to program the ECU to accept new keys, you must have a key that is already accepted by the car (just think for a minute as to how easy it would be to steal a Prius otherwise).

I have no real knowledge of the cost for an ECU and keys, but I've read on the order of $1300.

Sorry,
    Shawn

6. haceaton

haceaton New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(san mateo @ Jul 10 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]284128[/snapback]</div>
    Big mistake. Obviously the car originally had keys, so the cheapest way out is to try to find those keys or the little id stamp they came with. A title search could turn up the names and address of previous owners - maybe they still have the keys.

Otherwise you're going to be replacing probably 2 ECUs (Transponder key ECU and Certification ECU) plus new keys.

7. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope the purchase price was consummate with this omission, i.e., real cheap.

I also hope it has a clear title.

8. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jul 10 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]284252[/snapback]</div>
    And I hope it was not underwater at some point, like in Louisiana!

Hey, I thought of something, maybe the Fob is actually in the slot in the dash? Depending on who sold it to you, they may not know enough to realize that that is the key...you may just get lucky!

9. san mateo

san mateo New Member

that would be great; didn't even think of that. i will hold off spending big $$ until it arrives, probably today or tomorrow. can hardly wait!

i appreciate the bad news from the likes of Tusconprius, too; thanks. better to know today than be surprised tomorrow...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 10 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]284285[/snapback]</div>

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Well, you do take risks! :blink:

11. kupe

kupe New Member

Call toyota customer service and COMPLAIN!

1 800 331 4331

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(san mateo @ Jul 10 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]284128[/snapback]</div>

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(san mateo @ Jul 11 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]284599[/snapback]</div>
    well you'll find out the competency of your local service dept with this one- a good test. they need tests. ;)

you can use this to decide whether they'll be your regular service place. let us know how it goes.

13. san mateo

san mateo New Member

my willingness to take risks depends on (1) the odds, and (2) the size of the wager as compared to my net worth. i don't tolerate large risks (more than freeway driving) with my life because it dwarfs my net worth, and i don't play poker with my house, but risks on the order of $10K are no problem if the odds are good. in general, with favorable odds, if the wager << worth, then conservatism such as insurance or extended warantees are a bad deal.

a working 2005 prius w/nav is typically about $22K used, so my paying less than half this for one that didn't look too bad in the photos seems like good odds to me. it's it's toast, i'll part it out, do it again, and still be ahead :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jul 11 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]284616[/snapback]</div>

14. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 11 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]284620[/snapback]</div>
    You can always do the "roll it on the lot" trick. Have it parked on the service drive without anyone seeing that it doesn't run...then have the service writer write it up...and leave. When they call you on your cell to ask for the keys...tell them you gave them to the service writer and it is your only set....oh no...they are going to have to fix that!

or as an alternative, flash an SKS at the service writer and tell him that the car is intermittent with starting...that way when you push the button it won't come on, and he can't check the mileage or anything. Then make sure to walk off with the SKS, but claim that you gave it to them.

I KNOW! TOO DISHONEST!!

But it sounds like fun!

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No comment on this purchase.

Be sure to check every crevice of the car for someplace the fobs might be stored. Both glove boxes (including that back slot in the bottom one), center console, hidden drawer, cupholders and under the seats. My service department leaves the fobs under the drivers seat. I freaked the first time they brought it back and the fob wasn't in the slot.

Otherwise it will be over $1,000 to replace the ECU and yes, those quotes for fobs and programming are about right if purchased from the dealer. You can get the fobs for less from Metro, but they'll have to be programmed. No, you cannot program the fobs yourself. And without any original fob, you'll have to replace the ECU.

You might get lucky in your trace of the original owner. They might have one fob left that they haven't thown away yet when they totaled their Prius. Unless it's under water and mud in Louisiana. Maybe the fob also still has the silver tag for cutting the key. (BTW my mother has duplicate keys of long ago sold cars going back to the 60s. So you might get lucky.)

"Slightly crashed".

I'm sorry.

Bwa ha ha ha ha!

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much does a slightly crashed '05 Prius with no keys go for?

17. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 12 2006, 01:36 AM) [snapback]284839[/snapback]</div>
    If you want to do some time in prison, there is always this...

Or, burn the car down and commit insurance fraud...

Or, hold up a bank and get the money needed to get new ecu and fobs..

There are a lot of ways to transfer your financial burden to the rest of society, but typically that's frowned upon and you'll find stupid laws against it... penalties and prison time for breaking the laws.. It's terribly inconvenient..

:lol:

18. ostrich

ostrich New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what color? I had a blue 2005 package 6 that was "slightly" sandwiched between two SUVs on the I-405 in West L..A. If, by some bizarre twist of fate, this does turn out to be that car, I think I still have one of the fobs lying around somewhere. I was going to have the dealer program my new prius to accept the old fob, so I'd have three. but then I remembered that the physical emergency key wouldn't fit......

It's actually sort of comforting to think that Sparky might have nice life with a good family after the separation forced by the insurance company... ;-)

19. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 12 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]284970[/snapback]</div>
    :D :lol:

20. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ostrich @ Jul 12 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]284976[/snapback]</div>
    You can always purchase a blank of the little key and throw away the one to your wrecked car. That would be a lot cheaper than buying a new fob to have an extra!!!

BTW call around for the programming fee. When I called all the dealers in San Diego a couple of years ago, I got quotes from $35 to $130 just for the programming.