1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key icon flashes, 2nd key locks car, but can't start it

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ytsejamer1, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey everyone,

I have another Smart Key question. The second key that was provided with the car originally did work with the car. I am at this point able to lock and unlock the car with the 2nd key, but when I put the key in the slot and try to start the car, I get nothing.

I noticed this evening when doing some stuff outside the car, that the key icon was flashing intermittently with the car powered off correctly. When i put the key that will start the car in the slot, and power on the car, the icon goes away. Good...

When I shut the car off and pull out the fob, it starts flashing again.

I've looked through the owners manual and it really doesn't describe anything in clear terms. It says to take it to the dealership if it doesn't flash, if it flashes intermittently, stays on consistently... That narrows it down. *sarcasm*

I never noticed the icon flash at all before...what am I missing?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You missed noting the flashing key icon until now :_> Don't worry, many people do that, sometimes for months. The flashing icon means that the immobilizer is working.

I'm mystified by a 2nd fob that did once work but now fails as you describe. Consult a dealer.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you are putting the fob into the slot, that eliminates the entire SKS part of the system and the battery in the fob. If it doesn't work in the slot, something is wrong with the fob.

If you do have SKS, why on earth do you bother to insert the fob? Are you doing it only to test the fob?

Tom

4. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ytsejamer1, are you looking at the key or alarm icon? The key is yellow and the alarm is red. It is normal for the red icon to flash when you shut the car off. If the yellow one flashes, that means there's a problem with the key code. The yellow will flash if your key is in range (if you have the feature turned on) or if the key is in the slot. That is when it is when it expects a valid code.

Once, when I was parking my car and my wife was getting out, I had the key in my pocket and the yellow icon came on briefly and I heard an audible note. I suspect I shifted or something momentarily interferred with the fob and the car no longer say the code.

Can you elaborate?

5. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. I put the FOB into the slot because at this point, I just feel comfortable having it there and making a mindful effort to remove it. If I just keep it in my jacket pocket, and throw the jacket in the back...i might just leave the car unlocked...so I figure I'd avoid that all together. My last car had power NOTHING, so i'm still getting used to these new-fangled features! :)

The red car with black key icon in middle is the one that flashes. I swear that never happened before...but more likely, I just never noticed it before. If that's normal...cool beans.

As for the 2nd FOB not starting the car, I think it'll have to go back to the dealer to help me straighten it out.

I appreciate all the replies and insight...thanks much. I'll post back what I find out. The car seems to be normal...i mean, I was driving about 25 miles to and from the dentist today at around 40mph...i averaged 57mpg on that trip. I was stoked. :) Around town in shorter distances and stop and go, it's not nearly as great.