1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key programming issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by burnettm, Feb 14, 2024.

1. burnettm

burnettm New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I bought a used SKS key and realized that I can't program it to my car without someone with a security license from Toyota. When doing the chicken dance, the car would lock/unlock twice while trying to program the used key. I bought a "new" SKS key off Amazon and ran in to a simliar issue, but the error code while programming the new key is four lock/unlock cycles. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Do you have at least one key fob that works The system at all in your possession I thought for the most part this had to happen or you would need the dealer to order you a key etc with your VIN number which would get you a new fob a new cut key if it was never changed since it left the factory the cut key that is or the cylinder. Because you need the transponder information from the original two fobs a locksmith can take a fob that works that has the transponder chip in it and read the transponder output or whatever it does and clone that to another transponder type device they do this to my motorcycle pretty regularly or have done it I have an Italian motorcycle made by Aprilia and they are a pain in the boot. And when the key is messed up which has the transponder built into the key head My buddy up in Maine all lock and key takes my key with the transponder chips in it clones that transponder signal or code takes a new key with the machine at the key shop cuts it and imposes the transponder business onto the blank transponder in the new key head that he just cut then he sends that FedEx down to me and when I insert that key into the ignition it sees the transponder code turns off the red light on the dash of the bike and now the bike can start by pushing the button. I'm sure it's similar with the SKS system. But the locksmith needs a fob with the transponder chip in it complete so he can copy the transponder information with his machine that most locksmith have I can't think of the name of this machine It's like a DLC or something like that not a data link connector but it's a machine that most all locksmith that deal with electronic locks have.

3. burnettm

burnettm New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I have one transponder which works. I can program it to start the car, I just can't do the second step to have it open the doors. And jesus christ that is a wall of text with very little punctuation to talk about some completely irrelevant story. If I was interested in going to a locksmith I wouldn't be posting here.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it means there are already 4 keys registered to the car so no more keys can be added.
    You actually do not have a fob that fully works if that is the case so you cannot use the chicken dance to add another key.