1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Stuck in Ignition - 2004

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by desertcrawler, Aug 31, 2013.

1. desertcrawler

desertcrawler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Car works perfectly otherwise. Good battery, a yellow top less than a year old. Made sure lights weren't on, took in and out of park, tried starting and restarting moving in and out of park. Turned steering wheel -- nothing seems to make a difference. Searched threads on Prius and can't seem to fine any solution that works.

Any ideas on what we can do to diagnose?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this for a GenII? If so, there is an interlock that holds the key in the slot until the car is powered down. I assume that the solenoid that performs this function is energized and extended during operation of the car, and is turned off and retracted by spring force at power down. (If this is not how the system works, I' like to know.) I can't tell from the schematic if it is otherwise.

So the solenoid is not retracting properly, either because the system is not getting a proper shut down message, or the solenoid is sticking. First thing to try would be to remove the 12V battery connection, and see if the solenoid lets go. That would indicate that the situation is the former. If the solenoid still won't retract, then it is a matter of wiggling, judicious use of tapping, and possibly some dash removal to get at the slot for a better place to tap it and hopefully it will let go. Then you will want to get some lubricant in there to make sure it continues to move smoothly.

Disclaimer: I have not been in there to try this myself.

koolingit likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First thing to try is to push the fob into the slot, then try pulling it out. If the dash display is all off, then the problem is probably a defective keyslot. I'd replace it with a used one from a salvage yard.

koolingit likes this.
  4. desertcrawler

desertcrawler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Yup. Tried disconnecting power, key is still stuck. Ended up taking keyslot assembly out of dash, getting key removed that way -- now time to head to junkyard to find a new one I guess..

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might be able to remove the solenoid that locks the key in. The fob will be loose in the slot without the solenoid, so maybe you should just remove the fob after starting the car. When you turn off the car, stick your finger into the slot to release the cover back to the front (it will beep at you until you do...).