1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key transponder. Chip model?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hello1024, May 28, 2024.

1. Hello1024

Hello1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got an ID67 chip and tried to program it to my car as a 2nd key using the 'chicken dance' method. Got the "2-1" error (registration failed), which is exactly the same error as if you just put a pen in the slot (ie. it doesn't see the new key chip at all).

So... to all you technical people:

* What model(s) of chip are acceptable? transpondery says "Transponder Texas Crypto 4D DST / ID67 / JMA TPX2 / Errebi TX2 / CN2, CN5 / K-JMD; OEM Key: 89994-47061 89994-47060 and others."

* Does the chip need to be 'precoded' (ie. some data written to the chip) before enrolling it? mhhauto suggests that "page 1" of the chip needs to be written with the data "32 or 52" to mean a master key. Does the car itself write that during enrollment, or must it be pre-written?

* Does the european version of the gen 2 prius use the ID70 chip instead of the ID67? Other toyotas of this era seem to all use ID70 for EU versions...

(note that all of this is about the *transponder* - ie. the bit that is detected with the key in the slot. Not asking about the 'smart key' part or the remote lock/unlock part, which are different chips and different keying mechanisms.)

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The transponder system is that little trapezoidal shaped piece in the very bottom of the key fob not the green board correct?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You have the original key fob to this vehicle that you're doing whatever you're doing to and behind the Toyota logo there's not a gray FCC or whatever registration for all the electronic numbers and what have you for that particular fob that you're looking at in your hand at the time? Have something like ID 3675 I have to go look at a picture.?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I pinged my US spec Gen 2 fob with Autel KM100, and got an ID of: TIRIS DST 4D (and the chip unique ID number).

IDK if the chip you have is programmed with an ID or not (some might be blank and need a programming tool to make or clone the ID?)

Years ago I got a "normal" RFID transponder chip blade type key as a backup. It's cut to unlock the door and the chip is programmed into the immobilizer. However, in order for the dash slot to read it and allow the car to power up, I have to insert the key head in one orientation. If it's flipped around the transceiver won't detect it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.