1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

key with exclamation point dash light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mropp, Oct 21, 2006.

1. mropp

mropp New Member

Hi-

Sometimes I see a yellow dash indicator light - it is a key with an explanation point. It usually seems to happen when someone opens a passenger door while the car is running. But even after the doors are closed I've seen it stay on for 20-30 minutes. I can't find any information on it in my manual.

Does anyone know what this indicator light is and under what circumstances it is supposed to come on? It seems rather erratic to me...

Thank you-

Matthew

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's the Smart Key warning light. I've had it come up sometimes when the fob gets "hidden" from the internal sensor. Shifting my body (so the key's more exposed) generally turns the light off.

I've noticed that while it's mentioned in the maunal (under the dash lights area), it isn't clear on what it means or how to correct it, so that's a good question.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi mropp,
    Welcome to PriusChat!

Where do you keep your Smart Key fob while in the car? Sounds to me like the car isn't receiving a very strong signal from the fob. Do you by chance keep it in a purse or with other items which can interfere with the signal?

The warning is to let you know the key fob is no longer within range of the car's sensor.

The reasons for the warning:
    1) The Key Fob could be running out of battery power or dead. The warning light would hopefully clue you in to place the fob in the slot on the dash in order to start the car in case the battery actually is dead.

2) Unlike a non-key fob car, the Prius keys can be taken away while the car is running. The warning would hopefully let you know that that cute guy or gal you were with is now walking away with the only set of keys the car “sees.†If you do drive away, you will be able to turn the car off, but you will not be able to start it again without a key fob. The warning has saved my butt a couple of times when I would drop my wife off at work. “But I thought I had my keys with me . . .†:huh:

Any more 'reasons' people can think of???

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 21 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]336187[/snapback]</div>
    When I first got my Prius a couple months ago, a few times the SKS light came on when I dropped my wife off at work (each of us carrying a fob). I think it flashed twice then stayed on for 20 seconds or so (IIRC, not sure) then turned off. Always had my fob in my front-right pocket, nothing near it to interfere, except perhaps my bluetooth phone on my right hip, maybe 12" away? Interestingly, the exact flash/light pattern I experienced was not listed in the manual... :unsure:

Anyway, it hasn't happened in a few months now, so I didn't bother worrying about it.

Thing to remember is even if the fob battery dies, supposedly the car will still run if you insert the fob into the dash. Not sure how that works with a dead battery (?), but I believe that's what the manual said...

5. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I got it once when I was moving my car in my driveway with my door open. I thinks it's trying to say
    "Danger Danger, get back to the ship Will Robinson."

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Oct 21 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]336195[/snapback]</div>
    There are two warning lights with keys on the dash.
    One is a key in a red car symbol . . . this is the immobilization system.
    The other is a yellow key and exclamation point . . . this is the key out of range warning.

The Prius will only recognize and communicate with one key fob at a time. My guess is that your wife's key was the “on duty†(Sarge :p ) key, and when she left, the Prius had to search for and negotiate with your key. 20 seconds sounds very long, normally it's quite instantaneous. Are you sure you weren't confusing the car/key symbol with the key/exclamation point symbol?

To test the “one key†theory, place both key fobs in one hand with buttons face up. Approach the driver's door and notice that only one key will flash the red LED light which is to the right of the lock button on the fob. Now enter the car and start it. Note which key flashed upon starting. Open and close the driver's door, the “on duty†key will be the one which flashes when the door is closed. Roll down the window and place that key on the roof. Watching the other key, open and close the driver's door again. Upon closing the door the “off duty†key will flash and take over the duty. Bring in the key from the roof and watch both while you turn the car off, the new 'on duty†key will flash again.

7. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 21 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]336222[/snapback]</div>
    Just don't let the neighbors see you. They already think you're weird enough for buying a Prius! :D

8. oms2burn

oms2burn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mropp @ Oct 21 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]336168[/snapback]</div>
    I think I had this happen the first week I had the car. I was keeping my key-fob in my left pocket. I tried moving it to my right pocket without incident since.

-jack

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(good4you @ Oct 21 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]336312[/snapback]</div>
    I agree Left pocket bad, the devils side, right good. My fob does better in the right side.

10. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Oct 22 2006, 01:39 AM) [snapback]336315[/snapback]</div>
    That's interesting. I've never had a problem with the left pocket.

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 21 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]336222[/snapback]</div>
    I was talking about the key/exclamation mark light. This is the SKS light, right? I never shut the car off, just opened & closed the passenger door when she got out.

Interesting... I've never looked at the fobs before while opening/starting the car so I never realized the lights on the fob worked like that, but sounds like a fun thing to try. :)

Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 21 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]336230[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... indeed. ;)

12. _echo

_echo Junior Member

I've found it helpful to know where the antenna locations are within the vehicle.

Interior RFID reader locations are:
    )Center console, behind the back cup holder.
    )Trunk, left of the 'tray' It's the wierd white box with the red sticker on it. it has an FCC ID label and "134.2Khz" on it :p

There are also some on the outside of the car:
    )next to each black button. (trunk, passenger,driver doors)

In general the oscillator pulses aren't very good for going long distances. They're really only good for only a few feet. So, keeping the transponder in your right pocket is probably going to be the most reliable. Placing it in a bag would probably work really well if you put it in the back (behind the passenger seat.) There are literally TWO transponders that could catch the signal.

I kind of accidentally discovered this when I put the keyfob in my laptop bag in the trunk.. The car behaved normally, but the car wouldn't lock, took like 15 minutes to figure out what happened. :p

I've had this for almost two years, and I still think it's an absolutely amazingly cool piece of technology!

13. mropp

mropp New Member

Thanks for your responses all. :) Yes, I was talking about the YELLOW indicator.

I always keep my fob in my right pocket and I'm the only one in the car with one of the fobs... So it is pretty weird that it seems to happen when a passenger opens the front passenger door. :unsure: Anyway, at least now I know what causes it. B)