1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key won't come out of ignition on 2003

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by KathyinMinn, Mar 10, 2011.

1. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 03 Prius at a car auction. the key was in it and it started just fine so I drove it 150 miles home with no problems. Parked it and tried to remove the key but it will only turn counter-clockwise to ACC, no further, so I can't pull it out. I took the steering wheel cover off, pulled the ignition out and once it's out the key rolls all the way over just fine but when I put it back in it still does the same thing. I've lubed it--makes no difference. If the battery cable is disconnected it will roll all the way over and come out but once I put power back to it it stops at ACC again. HELP!! Does anybody have any idea why it's doing this????? Thanks SO much!

2. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is just a guess because I'm not very familiar with the Gen I Prius, but a lot of cars have a safety interlock that prevents you from removing the key when the car isn't in park.

Since you can remove the key with the battery disconnected I suspect that it's some sort of interlock system that's not working properly.

1 person likes this.
  3. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input. When I had the ignition out of the steering column I deduced pretty much that same thing, but where does a person go to get something like this fixed? A dealer would probably charge me more than I paid for the car!! I thought of trying to get another key/ignition but all that is programmed right into the computer, isn't it? Which would mean having to have the whole thing--key, lockout program, and computer---all reprogrammed wouldn't it?

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do you shift the car into park?
    Key will not come out if not in park.

5. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure do have it in Park! I work in a body shop, have been a frame rack operator for 10 years, and am very familiar with nearly every import manufactured, but this hybrid is my first and really has me stumped.
    I noticed on another thread somewhere that IPASS cards on the same keychain can interfere with keyless ignitions----does anyone happen to know if this is possible with keyed ignitions, too? Could the former owner have had one on there that fouled up this computer somehow? Any ideas?

6. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another key and ignition probably wouldn't help because clearly it can unlock as evidenced by the fact that it works with the battery disconnected. Instead, the problem is likely whatever switch or sensor detects that the car is in park. If you can figure out which wire going to the ignition engages the interlock a quick and cheap solution might be to just clip that wire to prevent the interlock from engaging at all.

You can go to techinfo.toyota.com and purchase a two day subscription for only $15. That will give you two days to access all of the factory service manuals and wiring diagrams for your car. If you're reasonably technically inclined you should be able to figure out how the interlock is designed to work and how to fix it or bypass it. If you're not, then any mechanic should be able to use the info at that site to figure it out for you... probably for a lot less than the dealer would charge.

1 person likes this.
  7. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We started with two '02 Prius' and still own one, so here's my .02 on the subject. Rarely, I experienced this same problem. Once, or twice, I merely forgot to place the car into Park. But the other times, it had to do with the steering wheel being aligned into what I'll call an up "lock" position. IF the steering wheel wasn't in the "up" position and fairly exact, I mean millimeters here, we couldn't get the key out. OUR solution was to move the steering wheel slightly left or right, while trying to move the key back, and then it came out fine.

Also to note, one of our '02s steering wheels would clearly be "locked" after the key was removed, on the other, the steering wheel still moved after the key was removed.

So... in addition to some type of Park sensor, there "may" be some type of steering wheel position sensor or physical lock.

Please let us know how this all works out, and forgive me if the above doesn't apply to your situation.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1. Also, if I recall correctly, there's a manual override you can use to get your key out while you're studying up on the interlock circuit. It should be mentioned in your owner's manual, and it's a lever you push upward through a hole in the lower left of the steering column cover. There's a little plug in the hole. If you don't want to fuss with the plug you can also just manage to feel for the lever through the slot in the column cover where it slides up and down the bracket. If your finger is skinny enough. If you have a large knuckle you'll end up with both your key and your finger stuck in the car, and unhooking the battery will only help with the key. :)

-Chap

1 person likes this.
  9. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info, Brett. There's a plastic ring around the key with electronics in it that immobilizes the engine. If that's physically moved to the side, and the ignition reinserted the key will turn all the way clockwise but the engine won't start. I'm wondering if the
    interlock wire was clipped if the same thing wouldn't happen---the engine would just refuse to start and then I'm left splicing the wire back together. :D
    Been hunting the internet trying to find info on this problem but no one has posted anything on it, that I can find.

10. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey JT---glad you wrote! This may be a possibility! The car is at my place of work right now 20 miles away but when I go down I'll sure play around with it and see if that works! I really appreciate you taking time to write! Thanks!

11. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap--Laughing!! Hey, I saw that little cover but couldn't get it out so I just took the whole steering wheel cover off and didn't pay any more attention to that spot on the column! When I get down to the shop where my car is I'll sure give it a try!! Thanks so much!!

12. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've noticed with my 2001 if I don't put it in park when I turn the key off (it will only turn to acc) all the display lights go off but the circle around the gear select and maybe the gears. I'm thinking maybe this would be a clue if the interlock isn't working.

Looking through my manual it shows the shift lock system consisting of a Shift position sensor, a shift lock control switch, and a shift lock solenoid (on the shift linkage), a shift lock control ECU (behind the dash below the steering wheel), stop light switch (on the brake pedal), and a key interlock soleniod (looks like its close to the key switch) The manual doesn't discribe how it works but just different voltages/resistance you should have from different connectors in the system. I'm guessing your key interlock solenoid isn't releasing, if you could find the solinoid connected to your key switch and unplug it, it may give you a temporary fix.

Good luck!
    Gerry

chaotic and KathyinMinn like this.
  13. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for more input, Gerry! No problems with it being in Park--first thing I made sure of, and have played with the shifter, wondering if it would have an effect. I had wondered if there could be a solenoid problem but don't have the instruments to test it out--I'll have to talk with my mechanic and see if he has the needed testing equipment. I really appreciate your info on this! What a great bunch of guys you all are!

14. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, a later-in-the-day update: I tried moving the steering wheel by tiny amounts with no luck. So I tried unplugging the interlock (?) black ring around the key to see if it would let the key roll all the way counterclockwise, which it didn't, but now have a whole new problem---it won't start anymore! Does anyone know how to reset it so it will start again? Or have I really made a mess of things now? :eek:

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it and see if the car will start.

1 person likes this.
  16. KathyinMinn

KathyinMinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much, Patrick! I'll sure try it and hope, hope, hope it makes it start again.

17. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suppose it's a bit late now, but I didn't mean for you to disconnect everything connected to that black ring interlock. I'm assuming that contains the electronics to detect the smart chip in the key that disables the engine immobilizer. Like Patric said, though, disconnecting the battery for a while should be enough to get it working again.

Instead, I imagine there's a solonoid somewhere in the ignition lock that engages when the car is not in park and prevents you from turning the key far enough to be able to pull the key out. Since the solonoid is de-activated when the battery is disconnected, then it follows that disconnecting the solonoid entirely will also deactivate it and allow you to remove the key whenever you want. There should be a single wire powering that solonoid and that's the one you would need to clip. It's likely that wire is contained in a wiring harness and if you try to remove the whole harness you'll disconnect a lot more than the solonoid and other things won't work.

If there are several harnesses connected to the ignition lock you could try disconnecting them one at a time to see which releases the solonoid so you might be able to narrow it down that way, but I think a TIS subscription might be your best bet as that should point you to the wire you need... or may even help you figure out what's wrong and fix the whole problem.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hear hear ... there's really nothing, nothing, nothing that compares to looking at the wiring diagrams and reading the manual.

-Chap

19. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My manual shows a 4 pin connector for the key interlock solenoid.

Gerry

20. forumoto

forumoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I also have the same problem with my Prius 2002 model, i cannot take the key out of it and i cannot start the car as well, the ps light is on, as well as the main battery like and the car with exclamation mark, please help me, i am struggling to get this car spark, when i place scantool on it, i got the code P3120 and P3030, but one main thing is not being able to pull the key out unless i take off the batt terminal, or unplug the cable that goes into the key sensor near the steer. More over, the gear cannot move to D, but it can move between R and N, shifting it to P is not possible, as much as you push it to P, it return to circle R, but cannot stick at P