1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

keyfob problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by defrankond, Sep 5, 2013.

1. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    my prius is equipped with the proximity system where i do not need to insert the key into the ignition just have it on me or in my pocket. i had someone slamming my passenger front door several times before i blew up on them and told them to stop slamming my car doors. well since that has happened periodically my car will just have the key with a line through it light come on, on the dash signaling that it has lost connection with the key. i have to take it out of my pocket and wave it across the dash to get it to recognize it again or just put it in the key slot. the battery is brand new in the remote itself. what could be causing this?

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It could be the battery is weak, even though it is new. Chances are it is a cell phone or other electronic device interfering with the key fob. I see this often if I have my key fob in my pocket that is full of change, lighter, and or cell phone. Try keeping the key fob in a pocket by itself AWAY from any thing that might interfere. Remember that the SKS system operates off of radio waves, and different devices also transmit radio waves which could interfere.

Also test the 12 volt auxiliary battery. If it is weak, that could be one of the sources of the problem. See my signature for a link to check the battery if you don't know how.