1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyfob replacement question - original half works

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Goodsteward, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Goodsteward

Goodsteward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally jumped on the prius bandwagon, and so far it's been sorta fun/sorta worrisome. lol I got a 2008 with 129k miles for $3,800. Battery seems good (but it only sometimes shows green when I drive, it's usually blue if that matters). I averaged 42mpg with hwy driving around 60-65 and interstate driving around 78. I assume everything is decent. I took it to Toyota today and got an oil change and inspection. The only thing it needed was a new belt at $90. It's in good shape inside and out, so I hope I get many many miles out of it. The only problem I encountered was today when the heads up display didn't come up, but the car ran ok. I quickly found out how to reset it by unplugging the battery clip. Toyota said the 12v was fine, but I know how these things can work. A bad cell can act up randomly, but pass inspection for a while.

On to the real question. I didn't know I had a half-baked keyfob(i was busy inspecting this in other places, and it was a private party sell from 2 1/2 hours away. I didn't realize this until I was already on the way home). It only has one remote, and at first, it only started the car while inserted, and you had to unlock the car with the key. The proximity sensor didn't work and the lock/unlock buttons didn't work. I replaced the battery in it, and now the proximity sensor works, and the autostart without inserting works. However, the unlock/lock still doesn't work. The remote was damaged, so I'm excited to just have the other back. My question is do you think it's worth buying a used/new silver logo and having Toyota do a completely new programming on it for $105 labor, or should I just get a cheap eBay black logo to have for starting the car and the key to unlock it, and program that feature myself? My wife will rarely drive this (she has a 2015 Sienna), and other than the annoyance of always remembering to manually lock it, with the smart unlock I don't really care about the missing buttons. I assume I can't program a silver or black to have the buttons since my buttons don't work and they are needed in the chicken dance. Local locksmith quoted me 240 for a silver programmed, while the toyota dealer quoted me 225 for the fob, another 45 for the metal key!, and 105 for programming. They did say that if I pay 105 for programming, I can program as many as I want. I'm unsure if they knew the fob only partially worked.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On ebay there's a service that you mail your used silver logo to that will wipe it's programming and then you can pair it with you current FOB/vehicle.

I've been single FOBed since day one back in 2012 and have seen many options... Still haven't decided on one. Maybe this new thread will help?

3. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem is the home-based programming requires working fob buttons, which I don't have. If I go to the dealer, can they even program a new fob to the car without messing up my current one? I don't think it's worth all the hassle to just get back button lock/unlock. I've been driving a 99 Camry with no fob and a 96 s-10 with no fob. Just having the smart door unlocks and keyless start is already an upgrade. It was a cheap car, and it isn't worth spending all this to fix items that are not really necessary. The only thing I want to put money into at this point is upgrading the stock stereo. New radio, speakers, and a little sub under the seat is all I"m looking for.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried to do the working the fob buttons and car door locks programming routine to program a second fob but it was a bad fob and my good fob lost ability to start car without plugging in fob in the process. So It's been easy to procrastinate on my next attempt.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would do whatever it takes to get two good working fobs. 2008 is a car you should have a long time.
    i think you got a great price on the car, all the best!(y)

6. C Rider

C Rider New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a similar situation. I have one good SKS silver logo key. Mine works perfectly, but I would like to get a used spare key just in case I break, loose or wash the good one. I assume you have been reading all about the keys too. From your reading is it your understanding that you could buy a used key and make it control the ignition (if you put it in the slot). I am much like you. I could care less about the automatic entry etc...I just dont want to be stranded.

7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If all you care about is starting the car, you can get either a used black (cheaper) or silver logo key and do part A of the "chicken dance" to get it to start your car, but it will not open your doors. You can get a blank emergency door key "blade" from eBay/Amazon and get it cut anywhere that cuts keys (if they will cut a key you provide--I did mine at Home Depot for no charge.) One word of warning: the immobilizer can only store 5 keys total, if that has already happened to your car, you will need Techstream to wipe all keys before adding a new one. (This happened to me:(.) You cannot "chicken dance" a used silver logo key to open doors, only a new key. The "reprogramming service" mentioned above is for Gen 3 used SKS keys, not for Gen 2.

C Rider likes this.
  8. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    im paying for one with a locksmith to use the software.

#8 Goodsteward, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  9. Goodsteward

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i just want a fully working key to start with. this is a new car to me, so i will "invest"

#9 Goodsteward, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  10. C Rider

C Rider New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the confirming my thoughts. I didn't want to post of the key thread since it sounded like the original poster didn't want a bunch of questions.