1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KeyFob wouldn't work!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fphinney, Nov 26, 2006.

1. fphinney

fphinney Member

This morning I parked my 2006 Prius at the curb. My fob was in my pocket (I rarely take it out). I set the climate control to produce heat. I rolled down the window. When I got out, I left the motor running. I reached inside the car & pressed the manual door locking button on the driver's arm rest. Then I flipped the window control button up. I removed my arm well before the window closed fully. So far, so good. I figured that only the most determined car thief could successfully take my car.

When I returned to the car about 8 minutes later, my KeyFob couldn't get an 'unlock' response! I finally had to remove the metal key from my fob & unlock the door that way.

Is this normal?

2. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This must be normal, since the same thing happened with my 2005 Prius.

There was a power outage in my neighborhood, so I turned on the 110v/1kw inverter I'd installed in my Prius, turned on the car (to keep the battery charged), locked the car (using a similar trick as above) and went inside to watch TV (thanks to the inverter).

When I came out to check on the car I couldn't open it. I feaked, and was about to call the dealer when I remembered the little manual key in the fob. Whew!

The Prius computer won't let you lock the car from the outside while it's running (or if the KeyBob is inside). If you attempt to defeat the system and manage to lock it anyway (as we did), the Prius computer won't let you unlock it.

So this is normal/expected. Thank goodness for the little manual key...

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    it's a pretty standard safety feature. Think of it as being similar to what convertibles do - If you lock them with the key, you can't unlock them by reaching in and hitting the button on the door.

With the car running, the key fob essentially has no effect on anything - it won't lock or unlock the door.