1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless entry/fob not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by quinnbear09, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. quinnbear09

quinnbear09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

I have a 2009 Prius. I have misplaced (lost) my spare key and I have been using an older key. However, the older key does not have any smart key functionality (keyless entry, I have to insert the key into the slot to start the car, no remote unlock, etc.).

The key that I lost had all of those functioning, so I determined that the car is still capable of SKS functionality. I have checked the states of all batteries (12V, fob battery) and the enable switch beneath the steering wheel. Would I be able to do the chicken dance with a non-functioning fob? Or do I have to take it into the dealer to get programmed?

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can only use the chicken dance method if you have a working key to duplicate. It can't duplicate a non working key.

You can get it reprogrammed at the dealer or a locksmith with the right equipment. What you'll need is a "reseed" of keyfob. If you choose to go this route, it's best you get a spare used keyfob...to program at the same time. So you'll have 2 working keyfobs.

Prodigyplace likes this.