1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless Entry Messed Up?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by techogurl, Jan 4, 2005.

1. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I recent got back from vacation where I left my house and car in the care of a friend. My friend apparently opened a car a few times to show it to other friends.

For some reason now, I am having problems with the keyless entry. I walk up to the car and it seems to have problems recognize my fob. It will unlock sometimes but many times now I have to click unlock a few times for it to register. Once I got into the car and it stated that I didn't have the fob and the car started to freak out. I was unable to start the car without manually inserting the fob into the dash.

The problem doesn't seem to have worsened nor has it gotten better. I don't believe the car was driven for 2 weeks and was fine prior to trip.

Has anyone had this problem? Should I take the car to a dealership to get looked at or just take the fob? All suggestions appreciatiated!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

check the SKS shut off button under the steering wheel it might not be full in or out and that could be the problem.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do both FOBs act this way? The battery may be low in one. How does it react with the passenger door and rear hatch?

Does the little orange light on the fob flash when you approach the car?...when you're inside?

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Viet's car is brand new so the fob battery should be fine. But that is a good test.

I didn't realize there was an orange light that flashed, I never take it out of my pocket. I'll have to look just to see what it does. :)

My car does react a little funny if it is running and I get out then back it. It flashed the 'no key' icon a bit, but I guess it then finds it and goes back to happy mode.

5. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I too have experienced a "sluggish"" keyless entry fob. Also, sometimes I have to press to lock button on the doors or the hatch up to 3 or 4 times for the car to actually lock. I have noticed it a few times, but I'm not too concerned about it...

6. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stupid question I'm sure, but you don't have your hand inside the handle when you press the button, right? I can't imagine why you would, but other than having a door not fully closed I've never had a delay locking and that is the only thing I can think of: the car is reading 'unlock' at the same time you are pushing 'lock'

7. techogurl

techogurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"61352)</div>
    I checked the SKS button and it doesn't seem to have any sticking probs. But I doubt that is the problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"61357)</div>
    I should note that I always had a feeling that my keyless entry wasn't quite right. At first I thought it was because I had just got the car and at one point had both fobs in the car and couldn't lock b/c one was in a bag. After that was resolved, I didn't notice much of anything other than some minor difficulty with getting the fob to work when I walked to the door. I haven't yet decided if my cell phone sends a signal that causes the fob to not register with the car. I know if both are in the same pocket that it doesn't seem to work as well. But then I tried putting one in each and that didn't really do anything. Shrug.

I will check the other fob tonite as I don't have it with me at work.

The fob in the past has worked fine with the passenger door. When I approached in the past it would turn on the interior light. Now it sometimes recognizes my presence. I don't recall the color of the light for this situation. As for the rear hatch, I have a hard time getting the fob to work with it. I usually just go to the driver's door and hit the unlock inside.

I know that it is not the battery. The battery still works fine. I recall having seen the orange light before. It's what I look at to make sure that I am pressing the button right. A min ago the fob could lock and unlock my car from inside my office. Now the fob is being unresponsive and the light is red. The time that the car would not recognize my presence inside, the light was red.

I have had the no key in car symbol appear in the past if I went outside of the car. Didn't have any probs other than a beep. Last nite when I locked the car, I noticed a red light with a key appear in the dash. I have never really looked before, but I assume that's normal.

Any ideas?

8. Frank Hudon

just a quick question when you try to get in the hatch are you wearing gloves? Also I notice on the hatch more than the doors if you put your hand on the latch and keep it there for about 3 seconds it'll unlock. If you just pull on it; it's sometimes hesitant to unlock.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The light on the fob indicates it 'heard' the car. It is possible that the batteries are getting too weak to allow the fob to 'answer' loud enough for the car to 'hear' it.

As for the hatch latch, I figured out last night that the latch will reset about as soon as you let go of the button, but will reset after a couple of seconds regardless how long you press.
    In other words, it will stay unlatched for as long as you hold the latch, but no more than a couple of secconds. Best to hold it until you actually have the latch open.

Also, the first press on the hatch unlocks the car (enables the hatch button), then you press again to open.

10. Batavier

Batavier Member

Brand new doesn't mean a thing for the batteries in the fob. When I first got my Prius I couldn't use the fob to open the car from more than 10 meters from the car (no SKS for me). When the car had been serviced the mechanic had also replaced the fob batteries. Lo and behold I can stand a lot farther from my Preto Prius and unlock it. So much even that it sometimes locks itself again, thinking I was pulling a joke on her. :mrgreen:

It won't cost much to replace the batteries and if you still experience problems after that, at least you have eliminated any doubt about it being the batteries. :p

11. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well I'll be, there is a little light on the fob! I had a hard time finding the spot where the light was as I walked to the car looking at the fob.

The flashing key on the dash when locked is normal.

As for the hatch, I press up once to unlock, then again to unlatch. I haven't tried pressing and holding waiting for unlatch. Just my natural inclination I guess. I still think it is too bad they don't have the same 'proximity sensor' like on the front door handles.
    Which button? On the car or the fob? If you push the black lock button on the car, it will beep, the head and tail lights will flash and the interior lights will go off immediately. No other confirmation needed. I have never used the fob buttons to lock or unlock my car.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have had problems locking on occasion as well usually solved by moving the hip with the fob in it closer to the car. Sometimes the car locks but because of ambient noise I do not hear the beep.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"61357)</div>
    I did not know that there is a light on the fob. Where is it located? I cannot see any obvious spots on it that will let a light shine through. I am at the office right now and it is quite bright where the car is parked. I guess I will just have to be patient and experiment at home tonight.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"61694)</div>
    I did not know that there is a light on the fob. Where is it located? I cannot see any obvious spots on it that will let a light shine through. I am at the office right now and it is quite bright where the car is parked. I guess I will just have to be patient and experiment at home tonight.[/b][/quote]

It's there, hold the fob in your hand and watch it when you approach the car or when you get inside before starting it...

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

or push a button on the fob. You'd hardly see it unlit, as it is a tiny clear plastic flush with the black plastic, to the right of the lock button.

16. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks. With the right reflection I can see it even unlit.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I just had a mental image of you sitting in your office playing with your key fob looking at all sides, pushing the button, holding it up to the light and moving it all around.

Mean while, your co-workers, who've already decided you're a nut-job over this Prius peak over the top of your cubical and now have no doubt what-so-ever that you've lost your very last marble!! :lol: :lol:

18. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Close, but no cigar. I actually have a door and a very large window facing the snow capped San Gabriel Mountains to the east.

The lunch crowd did find it weird when they saw me walk by the car and stare at the fob on the way back to the office (someone else drove today).

:mrgreen:

19. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Well I do not know about it being the battery because I can sit inside my office and through the window it will usually work, but when it comes time for me to get into my car alot lately the keyless entry does not work. So I have to use my fob to get in. Whenever the fob decides not to respond the light just blinks a red instead of orange.

20. Frank Hudon

I'd try the following sequence and see if it helps,
    1) pull out the button under the steering wheel to turn off the SkS system
    2) put fob in slot and start the car as you normally do
    3) shut off the car
    4) remove fob from slot
    5) push in SKS button under the wheel
    Exit car and lock the door. Walk away from the car, at least 75 feet away.
    6) walk back to car and see if SKS is working properly, if not go to dealer and tell them you've tried all the normal remedies and nothing works.