1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyless Entry not working (black key non-SKS)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wegortw, Nov 23, 2013.

1. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recently the keyless entry buttons (lock, unlock, panic) buttons stopped working. The red light still came on (strong), but car wouldn't unlock. The key still works for starting the car, but having to use the manual key to enter.

What I have tried:
    1. Ensured this is Option Package 1 car, no push button to disable the SKS from under the dash
    2. Tried the reprogramming steps here in this post (though I would say they are not 100% clear)
    3. Read the owner manual pages 20-40
    4. Gave up and spent $5 on another CR2032 battery (did not help)
    So looking for any help or the right post that has the right answer, I have read through 30+ posts but most everything I read has to do with programming the SKS key fob or programming a new key fob for start/stop. How is this harder than a HV battery rebuild :)

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everything starts here with making sure your 12V battery is good. After that, assuming the fob really is OK and the buttons aren't sticking, then one might suspect the door lock mechanism, and the possibility that the small motor has quit. There are good instructions on how to do that:
    Fixed: Door Lock Actuator in Gen II Prius | PriusChat

Can you lock and unlock the doors from inside the car using the manual buttons? That would test if the actuators are OK or not.

3. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, once I manually open the doors I am able to lock/un-lock the doors from the switch inside the car. The 12v battery appears to be working correctly (resting at 12.3 and charging at 13-14v while running). The buttons on the FOB appear not to be stuck as the red light only comes on when the buttons are depressed.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have a second fob?

5. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The previous owner gave us a second FOB, but said it doesn't work with the keyless entry only the ignition (same problem we are in now with the first FOB). Both FOB's can start the car when they are inserted, just keyless remote entry. The 1st FOB has worked well for the past 7 months until last week.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried it on the passenger door?

7. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The actuators aren't clicking when the keyless entry buttons are pressed, the manual entry is only on the drivers door.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just a wag, but is it possible that the battery was dying, then you messed up the programming, then, replacing the battery didn't help because the programming is off?

9. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Absolutely, I think the programming was last somehow. Know how to reprogram it?

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may have to visit a locksmith or a dealer to get the fobs reprogrammed to the car. If one of them would work, you can supposedly do the other one with the chicken dance routine.

Also, bisco asked about the passenger door and you trying it. Try the keyfob on the passenger door (push button twice) and see if that door will unlock. If it does, then you know the fobs are working, just that the receiver on the driver's door doesn't work.

11. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Makes sense on the passenger door thought, just no number of un-clicks is unlocking any of the doors. The double tap on the lock isn't blinking the cars hazard lights or single honking the horn and the panic button does not set off the alarm.

My understanding on reading the chicken dance here the first part if for programming the start/stop functionality and the second step is only for the SKS Chrome Key functionality. I haven't found the steps for the reprogramming of the wireless lock/unlock black remote?

12. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When you are driving...does the key light indicator stay on?

13. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Nope goes away after inserting the key, no dash lights on

14. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have seen your situation a couple of times. Usually the customer has put the key through the clothes washer. I know cause I did also. My key worked fine for about six months and then the keyless stop working. Im assuming rust build up. Key would still start car.
    The chip that's responsible for starting the car is water tight and is in no way connected to the circuit board.

15. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if a key maker can make a copy of the backup silver key that is inside the fob?

Pulling it in and out of the fob on a daily basis will likely end up breaking it. Just thinking it would be hard to get a copy at Home Depot considering they usually mount the "main" part of the key in the mount to make the duplicate and this backup key just has that tiny black plastic as it's main part.

16. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes. I got the key cut at Lowes for two dollars and change.

17. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found the backup key recently, but I think it was a replacement as well because the manual key that pulls out from it hasn't even been cut yet.

Just wanted to bump the thread in case anyone else knows something to try or is this dealer only? Or perhaps coming at it from a different direction how can I troubleshoot the cars wireless remote receiver?

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me see if I can help you. I've had all kinds of problems with keys and also programmed them too.

On the known "working" key fob, are any of the buttons sticking? You can click the lock and unlock buttons correct?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't you just buy a fob on ebay and do the chicken dance?

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

There has to be a working key in order to duplicate it. So the lock/unlock on the original key has to work first

bisco likes this.