1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keys smarter than the technicians?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dilbert, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Dilbert

Dilbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My car finally came in and I went to pick it up today after waiting since November 27th (Silver #7). However, the technicians could not get the SE/SS keys to talk to the car. The salesman was very considerate and got me a loaner car since I was planning on taking my new car home tonight (fully functional). Tomorrow they have it as number one priority. Anyone have a similar experience? :?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bet they had the SE/SS button turned off under the dash.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I agree with Evan, there is a small sub-dash panel at the bottom of the steering colum and there is a small button there that needs to be pulled out to energize the SE-SS system. If this is their first Prius they probably have no clue as to how the system works, and what needs to be done on the PDI.

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    smart key

Yep, same thing happened to me in March. Went to pick up my new car (1st one ever!) and the smart key wouldn't work. Found a button at the bottom of the driver's dash (forget what it was labeled...) It was pressed in or out (can't remember which, wow, this seems to be epidemic) and we just pressed it the other way. It's spring loaded and either is 'in' when u press it or 'out' when u press again. Smart entry is the COOLEST, so it was imperative to get it working. I've since placed a small label, telling which position in on, which is off. Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius!!

5. Dilbert

Dilbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They fixed it!

Well, they had to find their smartest technician, but they finally got the keys to work. Finally, after 222 days of waiting, we are finally driving our Prius. The car is great! My neighbors all came over and checked it out. The first question was "where do you plug it in?" The car indicated 54 mpg on the way home from from the dealer. I highly recommend Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton, Washington (Dwight Haughton salesman). He was very straight forward with the facts during the wait and sold the car at MSRP as promised. We will be back to replace our Windstar when the Sienna is offered as a Hybrid (if it lasts that long) :D .

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    glad to see you are happy with your Prius.

BUT... i "only" had to wait 154 days for my car and the cost was exactly the same as the write up for the car when i ordered it. i got my from Toyota of Olympia.

7. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: They fixed it!

Weeeeeeeee!!!!! Now I know where to go to get mine! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This is the first time I've seen anyone mention a WA dealership. Excellent....!! Any other WA dealerships and salespeople that anybody would recomend? I'd like to put myself on more than one waiting list, as you all have done. Oh I'm sooooo happy now!

8. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Toyota of Olympia? OK, noting that down along with Bob Bridge in Renton... Would you recomend a particular salesperson?

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.. i picked my car up on June 12th... i ordered it on May 18th :mrgreen: Toyotatown in Stockton

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Fred Hamilton... very good guy and straight up.

he readily admitted that the wait would be 4-6 months and he was right (5 ½ months) and the cost was sticker and not a penny more.

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's nice to be able to hear there are still some honest sales guys out there.

12. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Noted. Thanks! :) Did you have to haggle much/very hard to get him to agree to sticker price?

Dilbert: did you have to haggle much/very hard to get Dwight Haughton at Bob Bridge Toyota to agree to selling at MSRP?

Basically trying to figure out how willing those two were to do that.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no i didnt have to haggle to get sticker. i spent 5 minutes trying to see if a BELOW sticker price was possible but he said that there was no chance so that was the end of that.

14. Dilbert

Dilbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They sell at sticker.

Starbug,

Bob Bridge apparently sells the Prius at sticker price as a policy. That's what I paid, and I actually was talking to another salesman while waiting for them to program my keys, and the story was the same from him. There was no negotiating. I have been out of town, and my wife is too nervous to drive the Prius, so it only has about 50 miles on it after a week and a half.

Dilbert

15. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    DaveinOlyWa & Dilbert -

Sweet. So either one will be a great one to deal with. Both are honest and don't mark up their prices.

It's getting harder and harder to refrain from just sticking myself onto a waiting list instead of test-driving first (though that wouldn't be wise, no matter what car). I am getting very excited about the prospect of getting one; especially knowing that I won't have to deal with some of the garbage that many other dealers in other states are making buyers go through!

Yet again, I must thank you both for sharing your info! I wonder if there are any Prius Meets/Clubs in our state? I haven't seen any listed on PC, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there...

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I put in an order in Mid May at Olympia Toyota. I was treated very well. I was told I am #58 but I was also given information on the allocations regionally and some generalities on the orders made ( #3,#7<9) and the colors shipping and the orders. You can make a inelegant decision based on this information or not dependent on your financial situation and color choice. I was shown the allocations for the next quarter in the region. It suggested my choice of a #9 with a light color silver and white would be to my advantage. I got a 1 letter and one email from Toyota and a key chain!!!!. I was told January or February and I suspect that is close. I would like a car before or during December. We shall see.

17. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You might be able to rent one from Enterprise. I tried twice to rent the dealer's '04 (they don't rent it) and found out early this week that the Enterprise lot about 1 mile from my house has at least 2 (base model). My next door neighbor has one of them.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont think putting yourself on a waiting list is a risk at all. because of the length of the lists, there has to be some people who simply drop off the list because they cant wait that long.

also people on multiple lists drop off all the lists but one ultimately.

the way the lists are going, the sooner you put yourself on the sooner you will get a car. waiting a month doesnt necessarily mean that you will get the car a month later.

i figured that my waiting about a month actually added over 2-½ months to my wait. that is judging by how long it took others in my area to get a car and when they ordered. (mine took 5-½ months) oh course, YMMV... it only varies in one direction and that is a later delivery date.

19. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm hoping Enterprise can hook me up with one. They are supposed to get back to me this week with an answer. I leave for Oregon Friday morning, so either I'm going with a Prius, or hitching a ride with a friend that is headed to the same place. God, please grant me the Prius! (nothing against my friend, but I really want to try the car out!)

20. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Silver is the color of choice, eh? I see. I'd really love blue, but I don't like the tan interior color (never have liked it in a car) that goes with it. I don't remember if the silver is available with the grey interior, though...

Glad to see another happy Olympia Toyota buyer (congrats on getting the key chain!). As soon as I can figure out how to make sure I can afford the car payments, I shall go talk to them and the one in Renton.