1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

keystone demographics and meme

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by austingreen, Jun 3, 2013.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    House Supporters of Keystone XL Took $56 Million From Fossil Fuel Industry - The Price Of Oil

With the additional comments that it is all about buying votes. But is it? I do think votes are being purchased, but if the house voted along the lines their constituents wanted, would the results be different. Do most american's think without money, keystone should be killed?​
    [​IMG]

Every age group, every education level, both sexes, Republicans, Democrats, and Independents seem to have strong support for the pipeline. There is one group of the 15 broken down against the pipeline, those identifying themselves as liberal democrats where 42% in favor, 48% opposed, and 10% undecided. Not even a majority was opposed in the poll. While the group of Democrats as a whole including those identifying themselves as liberal where 54% in favor, 34% opposed, and 12% undecided. I was quite surprise that men, women, democrats, and republicans are all so in favor of this.

We can look at another poll
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which is not too surprising, again 69% see evidence of global warming, 27% seem very confused and say no, and 5% are honest and say they don't know. The 54% of conservative republicans that say they don't see solid evidence the earth is warming, is a little concerning, but as a whole Americans aren't ignorant.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wonder how much the oil industry spent on swaying public opinion for the pipeline?

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

That I don't know. There seem to be more money spent by PACs on this and by political candidates than by oil companies and unions on the pro side. Since 501C3 super pacs don't disclose their doners, there could easily be money from groups in favor of the pipeline (oil companies, unions, oil security groups, anti-terrorist groups, etc). I mainly see anti-keystone advertisements, but that is likely because I look at environmental media.

We can put a face with one of the ad buyers though
    Facebook Rejects Ad Highlighting Zuckerberg Group's Support For Keystone XL | ThinkProgress
    Zuckerberg’s fwd USA, which supports immigration reform has helped pay for pro keystone advertisements for candidates that also want immigration reform. Its rather comical that Think Progress asked me to like it on facebook, while being mad at Facebook for not advertising against its founder.