1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kick-butt Esquire article

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hobbit, Nov 10, 2005.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Esquire" lays the smackdown on Creationism: it's someone's mirror
    of the actual article and apparently got mangled in a way that made
    all the hyphens vanish, but still readable [watch wrap]:
    http://templeofpolemic.proboards42.com/ind...read=1130126466
    Bugmenot doesn't appear to have a valid login for esquire.com, so
    we gets what we gets.
    _H*

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yikes, didn't realize what a long read that was.

very good article though, thanks for the link. i feel it got a little more into politics and became a "the people running this country are idiots" rant in the end rather than a "science is not faith and faith is not science" rant.

oh well. back to my evil, naughty science. :D

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Thanks, hobbit. I needed that.

Problem is, next time I need to take I-70 from the middle of Utah to St. Louis, how do I drive around Kansas?

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I hope it's the fun type of evil, naughty science. You know -- death rays, reanimating corpses, sharks with friggin' laser beams strapped to their heads...

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a hard-core God-fearing, non-recycling, blind-faith Christian giving me all these reasons why hybrids were a waste of time. He made it very clear that God is refilling the oil fields to ensure that we do not run out. When I mentioned anything environmental, he quoted Genesis in which God gave man domain over Nature and therefore it's our God-given duty to use up all the natural resources.

Then he said something interesting. Whenever God wants us to move on to another technology, he will instill the knowledge into our scientists who will move us onto the new technolgy.

So apperantly science, scientific discoveries, stem cell research, and all that it brings with it is evil and an afront to God. But when God wants us to progress, he will use science to bring the message to the people.

It didn't take me long to realize that there was no way I would ever win the arguement or alter his perception so I got a drink and walked away.

6. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Well . . . Here's a hard-core God-fearing, recycling, blind-faith Christian who's trying very hard to figure out how "receiving domain over" means God wants us to lay waste to the system He made. I figure, if we use everything up and destroy ourselves, we couldn't maintain dominion over anything and thus be in default of the original intent.
    But you are probably right, there was no logic to your acquaintance. It saddens me that such a noticable amount of people attach "I have faith" to "I don't need to use my brain anymore."

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I may not adhere to any particular organized religion... but AMEN to that. I think many people are manipulating religion to their own agenda and using it to justify all sorts of things that otherwise would have no justification or logic. :angry: :angry:

and what i do is the fun kind of science- but not the dr. evil kind of science :lol: