1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kicking around my "new" tires today and discovered

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Sep 10, 2016.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The techs had installed the clamp-on weights on the outside -- you know the side with the wheel covers, which is causing a very slight bulge on the covers at that point.

I called and they swore it was industry-standard and they would be happen to adjust it all to the back side for free, of course, but it would not be "perfectly" balanced .

I went ballistic when SEARS did this a few years ago. And, I warned the guys when I walked into the shop about it.

I will say it is nowhere as noticeable as it was when SEARS did it.

So, am I O.K. Seems to me, which is why I really protested when SEARS did it, that I had read that it is bad, bad, bad for the alloy wheels/

I don't want to be "that woman," but...

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A Cosmetic issue only, you are OK.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    omg, the nerve of those people that are doing what they know best. They might be more careful if you had something a bit more expensive in between the tires, but gen2 rims? They are just out to balance the tire the way they were trained and not really concerned about the ugly wheels that get a bulge from the wheel weight.

What you got is industry standard

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It should be hidden weights on the outside, that's dead certainty. I would take them up on their offer, think their warning about "less than perfect balance" is just a face-saving ploy.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The place that refinished my Gen 1 wheels remounted the tires and balanced with tape weights both inboard and outboard (so no clip-on/bang-on weights on either lip). I had not heard of that before but it made perfect sense to me as a way to avoid piercing the finish and giving corrosion a place to get started.

The place I've usually had my tires done has usually not used tape weights, but they say they will if I remind them. They've also offered the option to use tape weights for the outboard positions, but clip-ons for the inboard lip. Seems to me if I had a new wheel, or a freshly refinished one, with no finish damage yet or places for corrosion to start, I'd probably prefer tape weights everywhere.

After the first good curb rash, it probably doesn't matter much any more.

Naturally, with tape weights being nearer the centerline of the wheel, more overall weight may have to be used to correct a given dynamic imbalance than with weights clipped onto the lips.

-Chap

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I removed the fugly wheel-trims on my 2009 Gen II (touring), and back in the Spring when I fitted a new set of summer tyres, the deal included balancing, alignment, and (I just checked) the balance weights are right in the centre-line of the wheel and are stuck on with adhesive, not on the outside. The job was done at the local Town Fair Tires - I see from my pics that my winter "steelies" have been balanced in the traditional way with clamp-ons on the outside, but I don't use hub-caps in the winter either (too many nooks and crannies for dirt/road-grott/ice/snow to build up) (also summer wheels are 16", winters are 15") - I do not know if this helps but I understand your annoyance - when I bought the summer tyres, I had to explain to the tech why the valve-caps were really tight (I use pliers to tighten them in order to confuse any would-be jokers intent on letting the air out when the car is unattended) - but I didn't diss the tech for not knowing my trick, in fact he thought it was actually a Good Idea. ;)

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This may have been where you "heard" outside weights were not the best idea.

Wheel weights on the outside after balancing | PriusChat

What would bother me more is that you mentioned it to them before they started and they did not mention any "industry standard" at that time.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Chris
    I gave up on the wheel weights years ago. The last time I got tires yep weights on the outside of my rims....which didn't matter as 2 of the rims were from junk yards and kinda f'ed up as I had 2 bent rims and had to find new rims. And like Will I haven't had wheel covers on my wheels for 10 years.

The takeaway for anyone reading this is make sure they check that the wheels aren't bent when on the tire machine. These wheels are so light and so easy to bend. Wont take much of a wheel bend to make you crazy. Slightest bend may not show up till you go 70 mph's and you have vibration which will make you crazy. You may not even know there bent if you drive the car everyday.

One bad pothole at speed can bend these light aluminum wheels.

Duke the tire guy and have him check the wheel when getting new tires.

All about weight savings when they made this car. The bad part is really light wheel very easy to bend.