1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Killed my radio/screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lavalamp, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was putting subwoofers back in my prius, as I had put them in before with out any real problem.

Well this time at the very last step, while tapping the remote wire from the JBL amp for my sub amp, I managed to short out the wire by holding it with my pliers and touching the amp with the pliers.

So I assumed I just blew a fuse and looked in the owner's manual to figure out what fuse. All the fuses listed that could have been it also had other things on them (power windows, dome light, etc) and everything else was working. So I decided to pull each fuse one by one and inspect them, I didn't find any that looked burned (Did I mention I did this with the car on? I'm sure I'll pay for that in the morning).

So I looked for a fuse on the amp, none were to be found.

So what have I done? My screen won't even turn on.

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you check both fuse blocks? Under the hood and under the dash? The fuse you blew is probably under the dash.

3. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right. I had looked under the dash and did not see a fuse box, but after looking at the manual I had another look and found it. Replaced the blown fuse and now all is well.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow. Good save, vertex.
    I have no doubted I'd have experienced a pit-of-the-stomach "WTH have I done?" moment.