1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kinda sad... Sold my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusham, Nov 29, 2004.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    This afternoon I made arrangements with a fellow from Chicago who will be buying my beloved 2004 Prius this Saturday.

It sold for as low as I was willing to go, and I personally think he's getting a heck of a bargain. It's also the exact color and package he wants, and he's not waiting a year to get it.

My kids are sad because this wonderful car provided us with the trip of their lives when we drove it cross country after buying it.

Earlier this morning, my local dealer called to say that our identical, 2005, was delivered this past Saturday. So the timing is right. I'll be buying our second Prius a week from today.

But I know already, it won't be the same.

So I am taking some joy in how excited the new buyer is. It's going to be fun show him all the tricks. Well, not ALL the tricks. It'll be more fun for him when he discovers some on his own!

Hope he shows up on PriusCat... I mean PriusCHAT. Give him a warm welcome. Right now he's lurking.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious - why sell one for another? I must have missed that thread.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

At least you'll always have the memories of the times with your 2004 - and you'll always have June 2005 in the Calendar! :)

-m.

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Yes you might have missed the thread. I had ordered TWO Prius in February of 2004. One in California, and one here in Michigan.

After the CA car was delivered in July, I never cancelled the MI car. My wife was undecided if she wanted to switch from an SUV to the Prius.

She decided to keep her Honda Pilot a little while longer, the MI Prius finally arrived last Saturday.

So for not much extra $ thanks to the high resale value, a tax credit, and a $700 Toyota rebate coupon for this new Prius, I get a car with zero miles on it. Kinda makes sense - I guess.

Still... it's just been a great car and you hate to trade for the unknown. You know?

I have not received my Prius Calander yet so I didn't know which month it was featured. THANKS!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"53955)</div>
    Did the warranty issue come into play at all for you? Since the CA warranty is 10yr/150k miles it almost seems that it would make more sense to keep it for that added value? What were your thoughts there?

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Toyota said that the CA warranty would only apply to a vehicle used and serviced in CA. Something to do with a different gasoline mixture.

In MI, this CA car just had the normal warranty.

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan, that was the tradeoff I had when I moved to AZ as well - my CA warranty went out the window.

8. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Uh, now I'm feeling kinda stupid. What is this about the warranty in CA? I bought my car in Feb of this year. What is the 10 yr/ 150,000 warranty in CA and what does it cover. The dealership I went to NEVER mentioned this to me and I bought an extended warranty when I bought it (big mistake, I know, but now I'm wondering if it was an even bigger mistake).

Please ed-u-macate me!

9. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We're referring to the Battery, Emissions, and Hybrid components warranty. This warranty is 8y/100k miles in states which don't follow CARB guidelines, and 10y/150k miles in states which do, such as CA, NY, MA, and VT. Other warranties are still std.

10. jimwelmhurst

jimwelmhurst Junior Member

Hi - I'm the 'fellow from Chicago'. I'm flying to Grand Rapids Saturday to meet priusham and pick up my (almost) new Salsa BC. Couldn't be more excited - I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Thanks for the 'June' info - I'd heard the car was in the calendar, but didn't know where. I'll order one Real Soon.

First mod will probably be the nav speed sensor defeat. My dear wife/navigator (who already is on record as being, um, "less than thrilled" with the Prius' styling) would be pretty put out to find she couldn't even put in a destination while we're moving. She's maybe a little spoiled by usually having a GPS-connected laptop on her lap when we're on the road (DeLorme Street Atlas2004). But she readily agrees that the dash-mounted nav - even with its dinky screen - has a huge advantage over a lap-mounted laptop in the unlikely event of a front airbag deployment. :)

Priusham - please keep us posted on how the '04 - '05 upgrade feels. Wouldn't expect much difference, just curious.

Jim

11. priusham

priusham New Member

Hi Jim!

I'm Looking forward to meeting you Saturday! And welcome to PriusCat, I mean, PriusCHAT.

Here's 20 points as my welcome to you. I'd give you more, but you talked me down too much on the car. :mrgreen:

You know, I have to believe you are buying it too. I think you only bought a one way ticket!

Hmmm... maybe we should have a Grand Rapids Prius Meeting Saturday for lunch!

12. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

I did the one-way ticket thing to get my Salsa BC back to the western suburbs. I went to the other part of Michigan (to avoid Indiana) but you should still have a half tank left when you get home. Congratulations and welcome!

I think if more car sales were this public both sides would be more satisfied with a fair deal. (This from a privacy-cautious guy.)

13. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Priusham, did it ever run right again after the fire? If you've read my posts here about serial Prius ownership, you'll know that I'm all for churning the inventory. So far, I'm ahead of plan by one car. I expect things to slow with increasing arrivals by next June, but until then it's quite a Prius party. Meanwhile, I'll have two '05's for sale in May and if the trend (profit+tax credits+tax deductions) continues, my '06 will be free.

Jim, if you haven't flown on a one-way ticket recently, get ready for the magic wand up your butt, full-on frisk and possible strip search depending on other profile factors. It happened to me on a trip to SLC recently.

Oh, just kidding about the fire! Best of luck for a great Prius experience.

14. jimwelmhurst

jimwelmhurst Junior Member

Gee, priusham didn't tell me about the fire... Glad for such a "warm" welcome to the board.

I guess I can hardly fault the airlines' security folks for trying to do a good job - we'd hate to have a bunch of terrorists crashing the Grand Rapids Prius Meeting!

Actually, the original plan A was a one-way to Escanaba. But I found this one before Scott had a red BC available. So I got the car sooner, saved a little money, got a shorter flight/return drive, and didn't even have to pay for the fabric protector! (Although maybe I'll wish I had it - that smoke smell sticks to the fabric. Oh, that's right - there wasn't any fire.)

I'll post about what I plan to be a non-adventure driving back on Saturday when I get back.

Jim