1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kor's Introduction and a warning

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by korkiley, Oct 21, 2011.

1. korkiley

korkiley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a new silver, 2011 Prius three last Thursday. Don't make the mistake that I did. I browsed these forums a bit before my purchase and saw the advice about the extended warranty. Nevertheless, I completely forgot in the excitement of the purchase and added a 6 yr, 75,000 mile extended warranty plan for $1920 and disappearing $100 deductible. This was purportedly a bronze plan and I see now that Toyota doesn't have one so I'm not sure what I actually paid for. At any rate, I have contacted the dealer and cancelled this plan and will purchase one offered on these forums once I receive a refund.

So far I'm really enjoying my new Prius. I am a little surprised to discover the harshness of the ride (tires are inflated to 38 psi). Also, the car seems cheaply made in several areas. How the whole rear storage, tray and spare area assemble and disassemble is a little scary--sort of like building blocks!

I'm looking forward to my first fillup. My wife and I have driven about 250 miles and averaged about 52 MPG with a high of almost 54 MPG. Our previous car was a Passat wagon which required premium so even the lower gas price is going to be nice.

It's great to have this community of users to give advice, exchange ideas, experiences, etc.

My son works for Alt E, a future producer of hybrid powertrain conversions for fleet vehicles. He said the execs there cheered when he told them that his father had bought a Prius : )

2. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome and congrats on your purchase. It's very easy to let your guard down once you have negotiated the price and trade-in. They take you to the office of the "finance manager" (who is really another sales person who sells the stuff that is probably the most profitable for the dealership) to sign the final paperwork. Before you know it, you've spent an extra $2K and are smiling about it.

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought the extended warranty (six years, 100K miles, platinum I believe it is called) at the time I purchased my '06. I don't believe it has a deductible, and I paid around $1100 for it, as I remember. (I'm 2200 miles from home with my other car right now, so I can't look it up.) I have about eight months remaining, with about 54K miles, and have never used the warranty. In fact, I never used the 3 year, 36K warranty that came with the car. I'm hoping to get my order in for the plug in Prius when the window opens, and am not planning to get an extended warranty for that car.
    Previously, I had an '04, and had only one factory warranty issue (replacement of the display) and no other repairs in 70K miles. Bottom line for me is "the bottom line." Save your money. :)

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hope you get your money back that was a rip off. I guess we all need to keep in mind that the car selling people are professionals at getting out money; most of us are amateurs at dealing with them.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you meant three days ago and not ten you should be able to get a full refund. If not then maybe something pro-rated. Go raise hell. Don't let them keep all of a $1920 tip/thank-you gift.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can raise hell or if the dealership has internet access, offer to fill out your Toyota Customer Experience survey right there before you leave.

I've used the dealership's internet to look up things here on Priuschat to show people.