1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KPM reader

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TorontoSusan, Nov 2, 2005.

1. TorontoSusan

TorontoSusan New Member

I've only had my car for a month, so I'm still learning. I notice, however, that when I start up the car and drive for about 5 minutes, the current kpm consumption per 100 litres tends to do a 'loop' - it goes up to 45, then 99.9 kpm, then it resettles where it should be: about 5 kpm.

Could this have to do with the colder weather? Or because I keep the fan on low? Or just a start up issue, as it never reoccurs?

2. c4

c4 Active Member

What the heck is a "kpm"???

Canadian Prii have their consumption displays calibrated in Litres per 100 km, and the display range is 0-10.0.. You should NOT be seeing anything in the 45-99.9 range at all.. Did you somehow get a US model that reads in MPG?

In any case, the consumption indicator *should* jump around with driving conditions- the average should generally sit somewhere around the 4-5 L/100km range depending on where you live and how you drive, but the instantaneous reading on the far right hand side should jump around a bit as you drive: acceleration should show large spikes in the consumption, steady cruising should settle at a number close to your average, stealth mode (electric only) will show zero, idling will always show a large consumption (as you're burning gas but going nowhere)..

High consumption is also normal during the warm-up period (first few minutes after you first start the car) as Toyota, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that the best way to control emissions in a cold engine is to burn a lot of gas and force the engine to idle to try to warm up the catalyst instead of just letting you drive normally as was found to be the most effective means of warm-up in conventional vehicles..