1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KROIL, LPS3 or PB Blaster......Why you might want to pretreat....

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I had to replace a bumper and fender on my 15 year old Mazda MPV van, this week. It was a pleasure when none of the bolts were corroded or frozen in place.

One of the advantages that I have had over the years is that all of my vehicles have had complete aftermarket rustproof jobs that I personally applied.

The nice thing about rustproofing is that none of the bolts were rusted in place and removed easily.

If you don't believe in rustproofing, spraying each bolt with a $10 aerosol can of LPS3 will provide you with the same result. The lubricant, over the next several months, will "creep" into the space under the bolt head and between the threads to basically keep water and moisture out, making it easier to disassemble the screws should service be necessary.

No technological knowledge is needed here. An hour or two will save you a lot of aggravation years into the future.

I'd do the drain plugs, any bracket bolts, brake bleeder screws and brake line fittings.

If you want to really do it right, first use KROIL or PB Blaster, wait a week, and then repeat the operation with LPS3.

JACoH likes this.
  2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree, LPS3 is great stuff !
    It is primarily a corrosion inhibitor and is used extensively in aviation.
    I don't know about mike's pre-treatment idea but I do know you want to do it while the car is in a warm environment. This way it flows better and dries as a waxy 'self-healing' film. And it is safe on plastic and rubber.
    Also use the little red tube and squirt it into any spot-welded sheet-metal seams, gaps, holes, etc. and any nuts and bolts you can see.
    It will smell for a few days,, not a bad smell either,,, but you will have a well preserved Prius in the years to come!!

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where do you find this LPS3?

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    LPS3 can be purchased at www.Grainger.com , www.use-enco.com or most Ace Hardware stores. If Ace does not have it in stock, they can order if for you. There is no shipping charge, when it is delivered to the store.