1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KSC-SW1 is rattling the doors and hidden tray.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ScubaX, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was just the doors rattling when the Kenwood KSC-SW1 would kick in, but it is also the hidden compartment where the tools are at. I removed the tools but that was not it. When I hold my hands down on the tray, it mostly stops there but I can still hear the doors rattling. I will be installing B-Quiet in the doors and has much of the underside of the tool tray as I can. Any other suggestions? I don't want regualar sub box as I need all the rear storage.

I was thinkng of putting a carpeted MFD board under it with some spacers raising it a couple inches - would this help?

TIA for your help.

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I doubt that would help at all assuming your sub is in the back and the rattles are up front.

The general procedure for dealing with rattles is to secure loose parts, add mass, and dampen. For the doors the b-quiet should help quite a bit; try and get it wherever there is anything that can hit anything else with a little flex. Especially getting it around where the clips hold the interior plastic onto the door (but not too much that you can't get it back together solidly).

For the drawer you may have to experiment with placing material in places that will take up any "play".

The important thing is that rattles happen where two things in close proximity flex into contact due to the sound wave, and you can solve that by securing them together, placing dampening material between them, or by eliminating the flex.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, sub is in the back and mounted to the plastic tray. The rattling up front is not that noticable, but the tray rattle is. I was hoping to decrease the rear rattle by a combination of B-Quiet in the spare tire well and raisng the sub off the plastic deck with spacers and carpeted MDF. I know I can't get rid off it since the plastic tray is not ver sturdy and will move no matter what. Just hoping to quiet it up a little.

Anybody else with a sub notice this?