1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kumho tire.. $240 set of 4 out of the door

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tekken, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New some suggestions of these Kumho tires made in USA $240 for set of 4. It listed as LLR. Any comments or suggestions. 15941586667654298701880324809180.jpg

krmcg likes this.
  2. Striker325

Striker325 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are they new?

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Friends don’t let friends buy Kumho

That said it’s a $60 tire if they wear irregularly, don’t balance well, cause a loss in fuel economy and blow prematurely it’s still hard not to get your moneys worth.

Good Luck

Pulse07 likes this.
  4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had Kumho tires on an F150 Ford Pickup. They were just fine and I saved money on the purchase...

5. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New tires..

6. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    20200707_151652.jpg

New tires.. Let's see if i have any luk

krmcg likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think tires are such a HUGE safety issue as far as driving safety, I default to pay more, for vetted higher quality tires.

Because you're talking about those 4 small patches between your tires and the actual pavement, which influence stopping distance, control, and traction.

And "value" or "savings" aside, what's the difference?
    $200-$300 more spent for better name brand tires. That's worth it to me. $200-$300 dollars saved, won't mean a thing on that rainy day when perhaps just a little more traction, or just a foot or two difference in stopping distance might be the difference between nothing happening or a tragedy.

tucatz likes this.
  8. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was on shitty band named lion heart and 2 on the back are brightstore, but bad alignment cause bad.

Ser of 4 new tires and $50 for alignment

9. Striker325

Striker325 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check Tire Rack for reviews on these, I am almost certain someone has reviewed these.

ONEPLUS A5010 ?

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never bought Kumho but this Korean tire company has been around 60 years. I don't see any problem. Kumho and Hankook are two major brands in South Korea. If you think Kia and Hyundai make good cars, then those tires will be just fine.

Chazman62, Mambo Dave and krmcg like this.
  11. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh, you talk like you drive on $2500 racing slicks that last 500 miles in the summer

Kumho and Hankook make value and expensive tires, not like they are $25 chinese treads.

Worst case they wear out or develop an undulation early.

Ive had them before and safety or traction was never a concern, wear and balance were as they aged prematurely

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just my philosophy.
    I'm going to value potential safety over 200-300 dollar "savings".
    Are Kumho's OK...maybe even great values? Well they aren't ranked as high as many competitors. They just aren't. Go to Tire Rack and see the evaluations the owner reviews vs. brands like Michelin and Yokohoma.
    I hate to say it, but you often DO get what you are paying for.

On a day to day, basis are most people going to be happy with Kumho tires? Might they go the whole lifetime of the tire and think they got good value....surely.
    But what I want in a tire is that quality difference that goes beyond day to day regular driving. It's better traction, better control, in emergency situations.

And finally?
    If I'm wasting my money, being lured in by name brand and advertising claims? I'd rather be wrong trying to buy the best tire I can, then be right buying a value tire, but then discover on that horrible day, that there IS a difference.

13. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kumho.. $240 a set of 4 included balance and mounting. i believe i paid what i get and can not compare to Michelin or Bridghstone band. But, it should better than my previous tire Lionhart band made in Thailand.

Tire Rack reviewed it not good for snow.. So, I drive in SoCal and Hope no snow in here. Lol

Rmay635703 and krmcg like this.
  14. Norm from GA

Norm from GA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    If your car doesn't have a spare, you may consider getting a run-flat tire, like the Bridgestones that came on my 2019 Prius. When I first bought the car, I almost gagged when I checked out the cost to replace them. But then I checked out the process of trying to reinflate a flat using the kit in the trunk and looking for and driving up to 25 miles to a tire shop didn't seem too outlandish, even if the tire couldn't be fixed. After all, the Toyota-issued tire goo was going to screw up the TPMS, and those ain't cheap!

15. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thread drift, for sure, but I posed the question in January re: the Toyota-issued tire sealant.

Here is what I've heard from Toyota:

Question: Is this sealant water-based? Will it foul the TPMS?
    Product: 4260647160
    Answer: It should not foul the TPMS sensor but that doesn't meant that it can't. When using the product they should clean the TPMS sensor after using the sealant to ensure it won't foul it. Thank you!

My dealership claims the sealant is water based. They agree with what I heard from Toyota. It can be cleaned from the inside of the tire, and the TPMS, with water.

My opinion: Although Toyota says to rotate the flat tire so the puncture is at 12:00, I think it might be more important to rotate the tire so the tire VALVE is not at the bottom, to avoid fouling the TPMS valve.

It's also critical (I think this is how users fail and gunk up the TPMS valve) that the car be driven, up to 50mph, to completely distribute the sealant inside the tire, and AWAY from the TPMS. The centrifugal force, and the heat from driving, will cause the sealant to thicken and plug the hole.

My experience with Nissan (Continental) sealant proved the above.

So, bottom line FOR ME (until I re-configure the trunk and install a spare!) is to USE the sealant if the circumstances require its use. For sure, I'll instruct my wife and daughter on how to use it, rather than waiting in a desolate area for AAA to show up.

16. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used to have Kumho tires on my toyota Matrix and one of the best tires I had on the car. Lasted the entire warranty length and no problems or traction issues. For the price thats a good deal. You probably will get 2-3 MPG less than any other tire other than the top LRR tires such as Michelin Energy savers...ect. I am personally running the Michelin Defenders and while they are LRR and much more stable higher speed driving in the rain I lost several MPG.

17. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I sort of agree with you, and did try out Hankook tires on my Ram 1500. I tried them out to get a feel for the brand as one of the commercial truck manufacturers was offering them as a new zero-cost option for new trucks. In about 30,000 miles I would had to rebalance them twice after the initial install just to settle them down at 95 to 103 MPH. I'm not sure what on them was wearing unevenly, but I sold the truck with them having probably 20k to 30k more miles to go on tread life.

I like the looks of them - a neat tamed-down all-terrain tire - but I would not claim they were top quality, either. Good enough, I'm sure, for tamed commuting.

18. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your profile lists you as having a gen3. Not sure why it's posted here on the gen 4 forum but I say go for it. If they are new, they'll come w their own warranty and Kumho is a trusted brand. It's been a few years since I checked but Walmart would install and balance new tires bought elsewhere for a minimal charge.

19. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    kwyjibo: He bought the tires on July 7, per post #6.

20. Tekken

Tekken Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As pianewman said, 2mo ago now. These tires are still new and MPG are 1-2MPG less than old tires.