1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kurt Vonnegut dies at age of 84

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by patrickindallas, Apr 11, 2007.

1. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In cases such as this, I am not sad that the person is gone.

I am happy that he lived and added to my life. :)

Vonnegut, while not one of my favorite writers, did pen one
    of my favorite books, Slapstick.

Hi ho!

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/books/11...amp;oref=slogin

I loved his writing style. I have a first edition copy of Breakfast of Champions as well. :(

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Apr 11 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]421942[/snapback]</div>
    Amen to that.

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I never read his work in HS and avoided lit classes like the plague in college. So I didn't read any of his work until about 2 years ago. I always enjoyed it and enjoyed his wicked sense of humor.

Patrick says it best<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patrickindallas @ Apr 11 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]421942[/snapback]</div>

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From Pharyngula

We all have a request from Kurt Vonnegut.

I am, incidentally, Honorary President of the American Humanist Association, having succeeded the late, great science fiction writer Isaac Asimov in that totally functionless capacity. We had a memorial service for Isaac a few years back, and I spoke and said at one point, "Isaac is up in heaven now." It was the funniest thing I could have said to an audience of humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored. And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, "Kurt is up in heaven now." That's my favorite joke.

Kurt is up in heaven now.

I think it is also only fair to give him Kilgore Trout's epitaph: "We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane."

Asimov and Vonnegut, along with Douglas Adams and Carl Sagan were strong formative influences in my younger years. The realization that they are all gone fills me with sadness. But I am more than ever grateful for their thoughts and ideas.

Cheers!

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am very sad that he is gone. I am also very happy that he lived. He had an incisive wit and a marvellous sense of humor. He made me laugh a lot.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

He went to the same grade school I did. Not at the same time.

8. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was very saddened to hear on the radio this morning of Mr. Vonnegut's passing. He is one of my favorite writers. His book Slaughterhouse Five helped me come to terms with the death of my parents. For that I am forever in his debt (and thank you Dad for suggesting that I read it).

And so it goes.