1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kuwait=France?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 13, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Figures.

See, the nice thing about our military might is that we don't need them anyways. We have 4.5 acres of nuclear-powered sovereign U.S. Territory that can be parked anywhere, anytime in almost 24 hours time.

And then there's the awesome firepower of our newest class of submarine, the SSGN. Imagine a boomer that has no ballistic missiles, but instead fires Tomahawks - and, according to Wikipedia, can carry 154 of them :ph34r:. Oh yes, and all this firepower is virtually invisible to the Iranians.

Or the strategic bombers in our inventory that can take off from the U.S., nail Iran, and fly right back home. Iran can wave their "nuclear banner" around, but I don't think they fully realize the can of worms they're potentially opening. They're messing with veterans (there are still service members - enlisted and commissioned - in the service today that began their service in the beginning of the '80s).

Just my $.02.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with Ozyran in that we wouldn't need those bases to launch a strike if it comes to that... However, i have to disagree with the OP - There are repercussions and consequences for everything. The leadership in those countries aren't beholden to US interests - They're responsible for the well-being of their citizens. In this situation, Iran has stated that they would launch a counter attack against any installation used to launch an attack against them, which in my mind is a sensible response. Kuwait simply isn't willing to bear the brunt of civilian casualties that would likely result from such an attack. no one is perfect, and there stands a good chance that civilian targets in the close vicinity to the bases would be hit in the retaliation, even if that was not the intention.

I hardly think you can blame them for looking out for the well being of their citizens in this situation?

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 13 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]461142[/snapback]</div>
    Get Smart. What they say and what they do are two different things. You honestly think Kuwait wants a nuclear armed Iran - about as much as Saudia Arabia does or Jordan or Egypt or Qatar or Dubai.

Only several organizations/countries want a nuclear armed Iran:
    1. American liberals/Democrats (thank you Harry Reid for your statement on not attacking Iran yesterday)
    2. the United Nations
    3. Islamoterrorists

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]461521[/snapback]</div>
    Yet more stupid and ill considered comments from Dr. Berman....Not wanting to start a war and attacking Iran (which you're truely only interested in b/c of your connections with Isreal) does not equate to desire for a nuclear armed Iran. Name one democrat/liberal who's said they want that...and twisting anti war comments to put your own spin on it doesn't count. The UN doesn't want them to be a nuclear power either, but they are pus sy-footing around the issue I agree.
    We agree that the islamic extremists would like it.

that said, if you eliminated the prejudicial comments from your post I agree that Kuwait is very short sighted here. While there may be some short term risk to their people/country should they allow US strikes to originate there their long term risk is markedly greater should they decide not to. I just don't think the US would be quite as eager to come to their rescue the next time they are attacked by Iran/Iraq/Syria/whoever. It's too late for them to become the next Switzerland.

Side-bar, my Brother-in-law in the Air Force is on his way to or already in Kuwait for a 3 month deployment.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 14 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]461534[/snapback]</div>
    I wish him a safe return and good hunting.

There is little difference between not wanting to prevent iran from going nuclear than from wanting them to go nuclear if you can understand that.

as for my connections with israel - what connections. i am an american jew. i would want for other democracies what i want for israel. and admit the UN is WORTHLESS in this issue.

boy - you must be one tough cookie if you dont agree with people - pretty intolerant i would conclude - very liberal like of you. do you treat everyone this nastily or do you save it for a select few?

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]461576[/snapback]</div>
    And yet there's a huge difference between believing the solution is a military conflict versus believing that it can be solved using more peaceful means.

Everyone here has their own limits with regards to war. On one extreme, it's only acceptable to retaliate if attacked. On the other, a preemptive strike is acceptable if you have the slightest suspicion that they're planning something.

Thus far, i haven't seen any evidence that shows Iran is attempting to build nuclear weapons. Yes, they're advancing their nuclear program, but at this point it could be for purely peaceful power generation. I think it's wrong to stage a preemptive military strike on an opponent based solely on assumptions and personal feelings.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]461576[/snapback]</div>
    Your neighbor's dog keeps digging up your rose garden... You can just go over and tear his door down, trash his car, kick his kids around a bit, be sure to throw all the China on the floor then, of course, beat the hell out of the neighbor such that he can never walk again or function in any useful way, then kill the dog to prevent it from digging up the garden.

Or you could talk to the neighbor, consider sharing the cost of building a fence to keep the dog out, ask your neighborhood home owner's association to consider sanctions, build a small fence around the rose garden, talk to the neighbor's wife, call the police....whatever. Lots of other options that doesn't disable and financially ruin your neighbor, make you look like the big bad bully to the rest of the neighborhood, and still get a solution to your problem.

This thinking that war is a benign venture is what got us so screwed up in Iraq. I've said before, though you like to forget it, that the nuclear issue in Iran is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. Diplomacy and sanctions take time...fortunately we have time. War may, one day, be necessary, but that day is not now. It is not in the next few years. And we should fear those who would suggest some devine right to wage it upon their own whims and fears.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 14 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]461628[/snapback]</div>
    good analogy. tell me, how do you build a fence against a nuclear armed missile? or for that matter a suitcase nuke or even a nuclear cruise missile or even a sub based nuclear weapon - yes your friend iran has the capability to do all the above once you let them get a nuke.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]461653[/snapback]</div>
    Again, the fact that neither you nor I know the finer details of foreign diplomacy doesn't mean that the metaphorical fence couldn't be built with the help of other countries in the region who most certainly do not want to see Iran succeed in becoming a nuclear power.

AFAIK Iran has no submarine capability that could carry or launch a nuke and most certainly nothing that could get out of the region successfully. A suitcase nuke...who cares...it's probably not something they're going to be able to build for decades...at least nothing capable of serious impact. Dirty bombs, yea, but their threat is the terror affect, not actual physical damage or risk to life any more than any other IED is. Nice scare tactic, but little more.

But you change the subject again trying to make it sound like I support Iran having nukes...why do you do that unless you're afraid of discussing the key issues? In this case that issue is what other means, short of war, could be used to stop and disuade Iran from building nukes while still giving them the capability of being self-reliant. Seems like diplomacy to stop nuclear production has been successful in another region recently. How did we do that...oh yea, got the neighbors to come to the table w/Noko, made reasonable compromises, etc. Why the urge to go to war in Iran rather than take a similar course?

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 14 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]461668[/snapback]</div>
    building a fence with 100% reliability - cool. i did not know one existed.

dirty bombs - you do not think these are real terror threats? come-on, u r kidding me right doc?

i am not affraid to discuss anything with you or anyone. i would love to stop iran from going nuclear but i am a realist - by now you should be too - what evidence do you have of the iranians listening to anyone about stopping their program???? successful nuclear diplomacy - lets see now ... who are you referencing:

1. NoKo :lol:
    2. Pakistan :lol:
    3. India :lol:

where did we stop nukes from being built?

again, i am all for diplomacy - i do NOT see it working here - DO YOU? and how long are you willing to wait - till they test a bomb out????? again, when do you call a spade a spade? when would you want us to use force to prevent iran from going nuclear??

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How long has this been an issue Berman? 6 months at the outside? Diplomacy, economic sanctions, and the like take time to develop. Like Evan said, this isn't a serious threat right now, and probably won't be for a number of years... We have plenty of time to pursue other options before starting a war.

Are you at all willing to discuss the other options at hand? Or are you just going to dismiss them all without consideration?

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can't prevent yourself from taking things out of context and discussing the issue in a practical fashion this'll have to be my last reply in these threads. I would love to discuss, but you're just exagerating and taking ridiculous tangents to avoid the key points that I've put forth. Have you even once considered the options I've put forth, nope.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]461720[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing's 100%...we can bomb Iran and make it unlivable for 10,000 years, but that won't make the threat to Israel go away. But we can sure make it as inconvenient as possible. Are we 100% sure that there aren't traitors within the Isreali gov't? Are we 100% sure of anything? No, but we can certainly do our best to do the right thing.

Again, great evidence that you don't even pay attention to what I write...this is why I quote you to be sure you know what words, exactly, that I'm replying to and so that it's clear that I know what you meant/intended. Dirty bombs are terror threats..just like any other IED. But they are not serious nuclear threats as far as having the potential for serious or wide spread radiation exposure or harm. Yes, it would be great press and it would be 9/11 all over again as far as the human response, but no greater damage than say a bunch of fertilizer and diesel outside of a federal building.

f not afraid, then do it...stop attacking me, stop making vague attacks on liberals, have reasonable discussion on the benefits and problems with diplomacy, economic sanctions, intelligence interventions, etc.
    If you don't talk to them you'll never know, and it's our country that's refused both to talk to them or to enlist the assistance of our friends in the region. We're creating a self fulfilling prophesy with war the inevitable result.
    Noko--the process is not complete, but well on it's way. 6 way talks with others in the region that would potentially be threatened. Compromises made, yes, but with the ultimate outcome in our benefit.

Yes, I do see diplomacy as having a good chance of success...not until we enlist the help of their neighbors in the region, but our hero President Bush has chosen to make ultimatums before he'll even engage in talks and has forstalled any potential progress for the entire 6 years of his presidency. Is it too late...I don't think so, but it's almost too late....he may be successful in eliminating any chance for diplomacy by the end of his term. Perhaps his greatest success.

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]461720[/snapback]</div>
    Let's fast foward to dbermand's solution before this thread turns into a 5 pager of the standard list of rhetorical questions pointing out how we 'liberals' should just immigrate to terroristopia and help them kill americans.

1. Diplomacy with Iran or Bomb them? your answer: Bomb nuclear facilities.
    2. When they retaliate or escalate in Iraq what then? your answer: Bomb them until they have no more military infrastructure.
    3. They resort to terrorism in the middle east and abroad what then? your answer: Start killing all terrorists or terrorists appearing suspects(which are brown farsi/arab speaking men).
    4. Capable male terrorists become less available so they resort to children and women? your answer: Start killing all brown farsi/arab speaking women and children.
    5. We win when we get a russian-like gutted out Chechnya. An occasional hostage situation at the ballet or at a kindergarten q3-4 years are acceptable in this "GLORIOUS" victory against the "TERRORISTS".

Now comes the retort from dbermand, "Your act is so old. I'm not a racist towards aRabs. What else can we do? Diplomacy? Well you're a terrorist then. Blah blah blah." Yawn.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]461720[/snapback]</div>
    Um . . . Libya.
    http://www.nti.org/e_research/profiles/Libya/index.html

. . . although I am one who believes:
    1) Iran is working to acquire nuclear weapons.
    2) Iran wants its dogs digging up our rose gardens.
    3) By making this announcement, Kuwait is unfortunately emboldening Iran in their quest for nukes.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 14 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]461752[/snapback]</div>
    You are not a racist, i think you just dont understand - geopolitics is a zero-sum game - wherever a vacuum is created it will be filled - we leave the middle east/iraq - somebody will enter it - the probability is that Iran will enter given its proximity, desire, and strength - also turkey might enter from the north and act against the kurds - this would set into place a situation that INCREASES the instability of the region further increasing the liklihood of additional moves being made.

to your points above:
    1. yes - remove their ability to go nuclear - a very sane thought
    2. how can they escalate or retaliate in iraq?
    3. makes no sense at all
    4. they have been using women, pregnant women, and children for a long time - nothing new here.
    5. interesting you touch on chechnya - a very big reason russia does not want iran going nuclear either - the only difference is that people know what russia will do if wmd's are used against them.

and tell me - play along here...

we leave iraq and mass genocide starts happening - what would you call on the US to do?

17. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 18 2007, 07:30 AM) [snapback]463892[/snapback]</div>
    Pull out and give Israel the greenlight to clean up. In fact their reward for cleaning up will be the oil fields. Obviously they know better than us how to fight is mess-o-potamia. We're there for them after all. Us americans tired of this BS will pull up a lawnchair and a tub of popcorn.

For the american zionists who feel that this is an inadequate solution on america's part, then allow them to fully deduct tax free any monetary contribution to israel they want to give. Sell your house, and donate it to the Mossad tax free. Even give these american zionist compatriots a $25,000 tax credit a year if they sign up to fight for Israel. You don't even have to fight, just contribute. Go over and give the israeli soldiers free(on the american taxpayers) colonoscopies for all I care. Those wounded are allowed to return to america and get free unlimited quality VA care equal to our wouned american soldiers. Deal?