1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LA Peeps--LAX to Disneyland, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Jan 29, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In March I have a meeting at Disneyland for just 2 nights. I'll arrive Thur. Evening with no pressing time issues. My meeting is all day Fri. and ends at noon on Saturday then I have to catch a flight out of LAX at about 3pm.

I google mapped the route and it looks like it's about 35 miles each way...seems like a darn expensive cab ride.

I don't know if there are shuttles, but I'd be a bit worried about the return trip timing since it'll be a little tight from meeting's end, getting checked out and checking in for my flight with a shuttle and it's multiple stops.

I'm starting to lean toward a rental (Prius?) but I don't need a car for anything except the trip from and back to the airport and I've never dealt with LA traffic....though I'm not too worried about that having driven all over the world and can bring a GPS along to help with directions.

So, what would you guys suggest...cab, shuttle, bus, rental car, other??

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A cab may end up costing you more than a car rental. There is a good shuttle service, SuperShuttle, and express bus services (Disneyland ® Resort Express), but traffic is so unpredictable that I would not use either one while on a tight schedule. It can take anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour and a half or longer to make the drive. Perhaps you can take the bus or a shuttle in one direction and a cab on your way back.

Have you considered flying in and out of John Wayne Orange County Airport (SNA)? It is a lot closer to Disneyland and much quicker to pass through than LAX.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could always ask for a ride from somebody nearby. :rolleyes:

4. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have offered, but it would involve a 120 miles round trip for me.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm happy to pay you $6 for 2 gallons of gas...heck, I'll make it a "10-spot" for your time!
    Just kidding Dror, I do appreciate you considering it.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The SuperShuttle, as mentioned by IsrAmPrius above, was always my choice for this route. They can certainly advise you if they have suitable timing for your (close) return flight. I have never taken one that had intermediate stops.

A vehicle rental would probably just slow down the overall process. If you could extend your time either before or after, however, I and several others here would be happy to tell you places to visit. For example, Tommy's chili cheeseburgers have so far escaped definitive medical assessments. Also, there are a few important museums in the local area.

7. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I live between LAX and Disneyland- What time does your flight get in on Thursday? Saturday I have a Prius club meeting (maybe you would wanna attend?) in the morning but should be done in time if you need a ride.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take a look at the Supershuttle. I use Hertz #1 Gold so pickup and drop off of a rental isn't a big deal though.

Seasidetraveler...Thanks a lot for the offer. I'll PM you my flight times, but I certainly didn't post this looking for a chauffeur and I don't want to put anyone out at all.

Didn't mention earlier to Dror that I wish I'd known about the other airport, but I have non-refundable tix into LAX already.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you can afford it, I'd recommend a taxi. The taxi driver knows the way and you can sit back and not worry about it. If money is an issue and the schedule permits I'd recommend a shuttle. Your hotel may have its own shuttle. I'll rent a car in a strange city only if it's a very easy place to drive in. Bonaire, the Big Island of Hawaii, etc.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can afford it...but am not particularly keen on spending that much money on a cab...though I may still do the "to the airport" segment by cab and the to the hotel segment by shuttle. Anyone know how to find out how much a cab would actually cost? The private supershuttle was ~$108 each way.

The supershuttle, round trip, would be only $32, but I'd have to catch it at 12:20 to get to the airport...pretty darn tight considering my meeting times...but probably doable.

I'm not concerned about driving. The route is very direct with main roads from airport to Disney, I have a portable GPS, I can read a map, and have negotiated roads in Ireland, Aruba, Mexico, Germany, and most major cities in the US. It's nice and easier when I have a navigator, but I can manage.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    As one of Disney's 5,000 + grunts, I can tell you there's a bus/shuttle company that runs every 30 minutes to the park and back to LAX. Cost is appx $7 or $8 bucks last time I took it (couple years ago ... using employee I.D. only $5 !!). Forgot the company name. I can check across the street where they drop off if you can't find the name on line. PM me if your peeps want to spend time in the Park ... it'd be my pleasure!

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please do forward that information...it may be in our reservation literature somewhere but I don't recall seeing it.

My "peeps" are staying home...they were going to come along for some Disney time, but at $600 a pop for airline tickets for just 2 days in the park it started looking like a very pricey trip for such a small return.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the shuttle schedules don't work for you, you can find out taxi fares by phoning any taxi company that serves the area. Google taxi + <location>.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

16. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am afraid you are confusing Los Angeles' taxi drivers with London's.

17. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to the City of Los Angeles' Taxi Cab Information website, the flat rate for a taxi ride from LAX to downtown is $42. The distance between LAX and Anaheim is about twice as far.

Posts on Trip Advisor suggest that the ride will cost $80-100 exclusive of a customary 15% tip.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the additional info. If seasidetraveler doesn't have other things to do it looks like he may be able to help me out. Otherwise it looks like the Disney Express will be my best and cheapest option (scary cab prices..could probably do a limo for that!).

I'm staying at the Grand Californian as that's where the conference is and we're Disney Vacation Club owners and just used some of our points for that time. I may try to go into the park at some point just to look around and hit a ride or two, but I don't have much free time in the short 2 days I'll be there.
    --evan

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    No no no Hill, not a "grunt", a "cast member".

I find no mickey-smilies to paste in here. Perhaps a copyright issue?

20. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if Even has firmed up his plans, but isn't there Monorail and Rocket Rod stops at LAX? They are the most advanced transportation systems of the future.