1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LA Times: Fighting over who lost Iraq

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rudiger, Nov 7, 2006.

1. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As with Vietnam, the ugly argument over the war will ultimately have a cleansing effect on the U.S.

<blockquote>"The Bush dead-enders. Although dwindling in number, President Bush's defenders will ascribe failure in Iraq to a loss of nerve, blaming media bias and liberal defeatists for sowing the erroneous impression that the war has become unwinnable. Bush loyalists will portray opposition to the war as tantamount to betraying the troops. Count on them to appropriate Ronald Reagan's description of Vietnam as "an honorable cause." Updating the "stab in the back" thesis, they will claim that a collapse of will on the home front snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in Baghdad as surely as it did in Saigon."</blockquote>

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

"It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months."
    – Donald Rumsfeld, 3/7/03

They've had not just 6 months, but 3 1/2 years to resolve this, and they've only made things worse. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Read my sig.

3. chimohio

chimohio New Member

We lost in Iraq as soon as we started over there.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reminds me of a software project post mortem I attended.

"We said that we could have this project done in a year. We didn't specify which year when we started and apparently it was this one."

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After you lose your first war (Vietnam)...then your perfect season is over. Losing Iraq won't hurt as bad. Look on the bright side. We won in Grenada. Not bad for a Super Power. :D

6. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 7 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]345019[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I blame us, the American people. We either didn't vote, voted without thinking clearly, or we voted with a conscience but failed to rally others to vote with conscience. Have we held responsible any of the democrats who voted for the war? The "opposition party", responsible for checks and balances?

We have yet to hold anyone accountable.

It's very easy to find where others have failed, but far less useful than finding where we have personally failed; We at least have the power to change ourselves.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Nov 9 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]346738[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree. It's one of the reasons I no longer like Hilary.

8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Nov 9 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]346738[/snapback]</div>
    While a small percentage of blame goes to the American people, a much larger percentage goes to the leadership of the United States that cynically and opportunistically took advantage of the general American people's fear and desire for vengence after 9/11 to embark the US on a course of their own self-serving personal agendas (be it a twisted ideology, political motivation, or mercenary) and will have negative US repercussions for years (if not decades) to come. It's so similiar to the Vietnam 'experience', that it simply boggles the mind that it could happen again in nearly the exact, same manner.