1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lacey makes Popular Science Magazine

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Frank Hudon, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

has built an amphyibious tank and in the March 2006 issue of Popular Science on page 69 it's detailed.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So Frank. Is Lacy your wife?

I'm sure this is obvious to you, but not to me. :)

3. Frank Hudon

Lacey Washington is where were trying to get a meet and greet going at the Lacey Electric Gran Prix. This is in the Washington State Group and no Lacey isn't my wife but I did know a Lacey a long time ago :D

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank, When the Engineering students do a car wash fund raiser be sure to pull in they do the best hand wash ever! A friend of mine has a pond near by where the concrete canoe race group practices!

5. Frank Hudon

concrete canoes! what do they make the paddles out of? Cast Iron :lol:

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Lacey, WA is a fast growing enclave of the state capital of Olympia. a few years ago, they were completely surrounded by Olympia but successfully annexed the NE corner called Hawks Prairie.

they were successful because Hawks Prairie is a finger peninsula sticking out the southern tip of Puget Sound with a lot of land that was zoned light industrial. unfortunately, its remoteness required someone to develop public access and ultilities. Lacey, one of the fastest growing cities in Washington, was quickly running out of space. Olympia was not willing to set money aside to develop the area so the judge allowed Lacey to annex the property from Olympia.

this acquistion now means Olympia surrounds Lacey on only 3 of 4 sides. at the current rate of growth, Lacey should outgrow Olympia in the next few years... not bad for a city that has yet to celebrate its 30th aniversary.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In Seville I used to jog along the path beside what used to be the Guadalquivir River, and is now a recreational canal (the river was diverted around the city). The canal is long, wide, and straight, and is open water all winter long, so rowing teams come from all over northern Europe to practice there. As the team rows its scull, the team coach rides a bicycle along the path (it's a big, wide path, shared by walkers, joggers, and bicyclists) shouting at his team through a megaphone. You hear all sorts of Slavic and Germanic sounding languages. Some of them use walkie-talkies instead of megaphones. I never saw any concrete rowing sculls. They're probably considered less efficient for some reason.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You might be surprised at how light these canoes were. The contest was between engineering departments around the state. They would then have a race. I think they had to hold 4 or 6 people. I understand that sometimes they would make the canoes so thin they would come apart during the race. Several of the test models did that as well the bits are still at the side of the pond. My son's Scout Troop used the same pond for training before our canoe trip.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually the project listed in Polysci is pretty cool. didnt run very long, but i think someone who wasnt taking from only used, long-idled, well-worn parts might have a pretty cool item when done.

too bad the students didnt have the money to pursue the project a little farther. but all in all, not bad for an engineering department in a school with a student population smaller than 3 of the local high schools.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. Are we really talking here about canoes made of concrete???

11. Frank Hudon

Ferro Cement is what it's called Google it and see what all has been made from it. Lots of it way bigger than canoes. Up to and including ocean going ships.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It more fun to say concreat canoes rather than Ferro Cement.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, so it's not concrete in the usual sense. Not the same stuff sidewalks are made of.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    special lightweight waterproof concrete?

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Read about it here.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You take the fun out of everything! :huh: Yes concrete is not just concrete. On some of the broken canoes you can see the chicken wire etc used under the over lying layers. You can also see other stuff in the cement, long fiber glass fibers? I am not sure if they still do it but it is interesting. Given the size of the school they try very hard at everything they do.