1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lamborghini Gallardo: Wrecked by Dubai speed bump

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Mar 20, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

Personally, I don't feel TOO bad...

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, it's hard to feel bad about that. Funny stuff.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well they have nightly races with Carrera GTs, Enzos and SLRs.. A Gallardo probably isn't gonna cost him much.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

You know, I just can't seem to find anything funny about these things. Time after time I see people laughing at things like this.

Should people with less money than you say, "well, if they bought one Prius, they can buy another," if you crash your car?

But I guess it's OK to make fun of rich people, right? Not poor people though, only rich people. Jealousy is a funny thing too.

Ehh, whatever. This is pointless...

6. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

Right

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well that's OK, because those rich people are laughing at you all anyway...

8. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish they were from Boston. I recently sold a rear bumper cover for a Murcielago and charged the body shop @ $14,900 for a new one (carbon fiber). I get the money up front before I order from Lamboghini ... we (a dealer) can't return the parts.

9. Mystery Squid

True, true, very good point, I agree....

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's stupid people that makes it funny. If it was just some poor bastard, it's not funny. When it's a guy who drives too fast, it's karma. (Or should I say carma?)

Nate

11. slortz

slortz New Member

Let me say first of all, based on the information available, I personally don't find anything funny about this event. But I'm also not sure if you're correct in assuming that the people being amused by this, bias their sense of humor towards making fun of rich people.
    I think people are more likely (by making their own assumptions) thinking there was some stupid action/decision made by the car owner that brought this about. Those same amused people might even find it way more amusing if it turned out that the owner wasn't really rich at all because he spent every dime of his hard earned money on such an extravagant car only to wreck it through his negligent driving. Of course, this is all just another assumption on my part, about why people are finding this funny.
    Point is, the richer the guy is the less funny it becomes to some people. If the guy is so rich that he can go to his garage and roll out one more of the 13 Lamborghini's he owns then the misfortune is gone and the amusement in the "divine justice" for doing wrong (assuming negligent driving) is erased. :)
    Anyway, lots of things have to be assumed to make this situation appear funny to somebody. And certain things have to be assumed to say why somebody finds it funny. So I guess when it comes down to it and everybody is making assumptions, I agree with what you say in the end, "This is pointless." :lol:

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, here is the actual story to go with the pictures. This is a street in Dubai where people normally drive about 60 mph. The government didn't like this, so they installed a large speedbump, but neglected to actually tell anyone about it. If you watch the video, there are all kinds of cars hitting this speed bumb at high speeds, from taxis to minivans to sedans. Well, this Lamborghini hit it at this high speed and since it is much lower than most cars, suffered more damage. All this was covered in the links presented in the first post. There are other sources as well.

Just because this guy was driving a Lamborghini doesn't make it OK that the car was damaged. Other cars were damaged as well. None of it was funny if you ask me. Stupid government trick to try and teach racing kids a lesson most likely.

I am basing my statement on things like:

"Personally, I don't feel TOO bad..."

"Yeah, it's hard to feel bad about that. Funny stuff."

It seems obvious to me that because it's a rich guy it's OK for it to happen.

My point is that it is considered "wrong" to make fun of those less fortunate, but it is entirely acceptable to make fun of those more fortunate. Just another stupid double standard. I have another name for it, jealousy.

And finally, it is a pointless thing to argue, because people will still see a Porsche or Ferrari and say, "Geez, look at that jerk. Probably compensating for something," without even knowing a single thing about the person other than the type of car.

Now on a side note, I saw a guy who had a Rolls Royce, and on it a bumper sticker that said, "My other car is a Rolls Royce." Best part was that it was true!

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One of the replies at http://www.topspeed.com/car_news/lamborghi...l?debut_page=24 claims that "I know this road, as I go along it every day, and yes, there are warnings, also the speed limit is 40KMH, so about 25mph. There is so much bad driving happening in Dubai, in fact Dubai has the third worst roads in the world (after Saudi and Qatar if I recall) some 22 people are killed per 100,000 people, Japan (the best) has just 1.2 people killed per 100,000."

If that's the case, it serves the Lambo driver right to sustain the damage that he did. He learned an expensive lesson. FWIW, I did find the video funny.

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The speed limit sign itself is a warning to slow down. I know of several places where there are no warnings of a speed bump, just the speed limit signs, and if you hit them, you will get launched. 60 in a 25? They get what they deserve, including the taxi. Maybe his livelihood is ruined, but fewer people will die.

I personally find the taxi funnier than the lambo.

Pay heed to the speed limit signs. All of them.

Nate

15. slortz

slortz New Member

If it the story was about some poor hick driving his worthless beat-up pick-up truck at 80mph in a 25mph zone and hit a speed bump and went airborne and totalled his truck, you are saying that that these people who found the Lamborghini story amusing would not find that amusing as well?

I don't know how you can be so sure based on a couple of short comments what the mental dynamics are of these people who are amused. You are extrapolating quotes like, "Personally, I don't feel TOO bad..." to mean, "Personally, I don't feel TOO bad because that guy is obviously richer than me and all rich people deserve to have bad things happen to them because they are jerks and I am jealous and therefore it is funny, but of course it wouldn't be funny if this were happening to a poor person."

I still think it's more about people thinking it's a "just desserts" amusing story because the guy was actually doing something wrong--excessive speeding more than double the limit. The fact that the car is a Lamborghini makes the story more remarkable to people because it is considered so rare and expensive, thus making the penalty for the wrongdoing more severe. Maybe these people wouldn't find it funny if the guy did nothing wrong and his car was destroyed?
    I just won't assume that the people finding this funny have a sense of humor that is exclusionary of poor people doing dumb things and suffering a penalty for it.

16. Mystery Squid

Oh for chrissakes, talk about reading too deeply into a statement, sheesh!

It's amusing because there's a better chance than not, whomever owns a lambo EASILY has the means to repair it, but the core of the amusement, is damaging a 220K car on a speed bump!

Would I laugh if the same thing happened to my Lambo? Who knows, if I had 10 more in climate contolled garages, maybe, if it was my pride and joy, something I saved up my entire life for, sure I'd be pissed. However, I think the latter is far more unlikely, and would easily take the chance such is not the case.

Furthermore, if you look deeply enough, what form of humor DOESN'T take advantage of some form of misfortune to someone or something?

:ph34r:

17. slortz

slortz New Member

Since it is your comment of "Personally, I don't feel TOO bad..." that Doc and I are making assumptions about, the easy way to the bottom of it would always be to simply ask you. :rolleyes:
    Correct me if I'm wrong MS, but I'd say you don't have an anti-rich-guy bias in your sense of humor.

18. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont care what car was damaged. Its funny because they are a dumba** for speeding and getting what they deserve.

I was with my friend in his van last year and this dumba** shot out in front of us kicking gravel everywhere. He had to have went 0-60+ in a few sec. I dont remember the car he had but it was like a beat up old camero. This was in a 45 zone I believe. My firend said "What a dumba**. he's going to blow his engine doing that." Anyway when we got to the top of the overpass he was on the side of the road with smoke coming out the engine. :) we both laugh and pointed at him as we passed. That was one of the best days i've had. :D

19. Mystery Squid

:lol:

Feel free to draw your own conclusions, I've already made my point clear.

20. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was at the post office a few years ago and a Rolls Royce pulled in next to me and the guy had a jar of Grey Poupon on the shelf by the rear window.