1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Land Down under gets a few more frills than American Blokes!

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by sURFNmADNESS, Aug 27, 2013.

1. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota Prius v Accessories

Door Handle film?
    Scuff Guard?
    Backup Sensors?
    Watching the video they get some sort of sun shade that retracts into rear doors too.

And finally the emergency stop lamps sound pretty interesting too....
    Emergency stop lamp - Toyota Prius v

And 3rd row seating... standard.....

2. Kurt E Sanders

Kurt E Sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting, I have this same "Brake light deceleration warning to command immediate attention" feature from Kisan Electronics installed on my motorcycle...

[​IMG]

You can also install this "after market" ket from FlashingBrakeLights website.

3. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
  5. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Although you say we get more stuff, we don't have auto wipers (I don't think available in any market) nor 17" wheels nor the aero bits on any of the Prius v.

I reckon not having the 5 seater version is good given it's really a moot point to have that version when the regular hatch does a very similar job.

6. Kurt E Sanders

Kurt E Sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What's the difference between a blink, a flash, a strobe or a pulse on these brake light kits?

All manufacturers state that their model is "Legal in all 50 States". For example, this online Brake Kit Flasher kit performs 6 light flashes in approximately 2.2 seconds and this Universal Brake Light Flasher/Strober has 1800+ modes to custom control exactly the 1 to 15 flashing cycles, 1 to 15 frequencies, repeat delay, continues and other modes.

I would like to install a brake light kit like these, but when I removed my Prius v 2013 3rd brake light dome, the lead wires don't have much slack to easily cut and install the blue crimped connector and common wire splice in.

Does anyone know how to avoid cutting the OEM brake light wires and get a matching male/female plug-in that can extend the OEM wiring harness?

7. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That emergency brake flashing thing has been around on the 3rd gen as standard fitment. I've never seen it in action myself although I should stick the gopro out back and take a video of it.

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 C came with the 3rd break light that pulses 3 times before turning solid red. The dealer had no mark up for this, and they have never installed it on my car or any other car, so I believe it came from Toyota. I can only assume that my C being an early production one was intended for another country than the USA. They may have pulled it to go to USA, due to not having enough cars to meet the demand.

9. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That does not happen - never.

10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you know that it does not happen? How do you explain my 3rd break light?

11. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully your brake lights don't break but anyway, the emergency brake lights is a feature design into the car.

12. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I can't tell you what's wrong with your car but I do know that vehicles for the U.S market are so incredibly different than those sold in other world markets that it is impossible for a vehicle meant for anther market to be diverted to the U.S. If it was, then you would be noticing all sorts of other differences.

Are you the original owner?

13. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Such as a steering wheel on the wrong side!

[​IMG]

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes original owner, not sure what that has to do with anything? Unless you are a production manager at Toyota, I will enjoy my theory.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, that is the right side!
    Cars are built to meet the standards of the country of destination. Different safety standards for a start. I believe the Australian Toyotas have harder springs because Aussies are tough and like it rough. Europe is the same, we like cars that don't wallow around. I don't have personal experience with the Prius V but I know my gen II Prius has harder springs than the Gen II I rode in from Chicago to Detroit with less body roll.

16. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The flashing in some are constant and others are variable from 2-3 seconds to 5-7 sec or more.

Just pick the features you want.

You have to cut the wires unless you find an OEM plug. Installed mine by taking out the plastic trim from the inside.

17. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your third brake light must have been installed here in the US - flashes your 3rd brake light every time you press the brake pedal. The OEM ones don't pulsate or flash below 55 kph. The OEM ones has to sync with the cars computer system - only pulsates the brake lights above 55 kph. My understanding is, it is all the brake lights that flashes.

18. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's actually a spec in the Vehicle Spec Sheet that links it to emergency brake flashing lights. At least for Australia/Europe, it's a non removable spec (ie standard as part of the base car)

19. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well ... live the fantasy. Maybe your car was previously "sold" to somebody else who backed out of the dealer after he paid the dealer to install something like one of these:
    Pulsing Third Brake Lights - Pulse The Safer Braking Technology
    This aftermarket product is available as a dealer installed option through many car dealers including some Toyota dealers and is not available for purchase by consumers.

My wife's Prius v Five/ATP was purchased new and came with dealer installed 3M film on the hood and around the door frames -- as an option it was something like $500. We didn't ask for it, we didn't pay for it, it wasn't on the invoice or contract and we don't know how it came to be on the car. Maybe someone else "bought" the car but never took delivery. This kind of situation is not particularly unusual.

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you buy a car you drive it home the day you sign the contract, they make sure you take delivery. My car had 25 miles on it, it was never taken home. My C one also has a rear wiper, which from others on this site say should not be an option on this model. So my dream will continue.